New California Law Bans Products Containing Brass

I would think grizzly have misunderstood something. Lead free Brass is mandated in Australia now for plumbing, and also, I believe, in California, as well as probably many other states/territories/countries. But as far as I know there is no restriction on the use of leaded brass in other applications.

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the replies. I checked the CA government link sent by Jim Dawson, thanks Jim. I also called, left a message, and emailed the Prop 65 office asking for clarification. I hope that the folks at Grizzly are just misapplying the law and will change their policy. I was looking forward to getting that rotary table!
I will let you know what I find out from Sacramento.

As far as I can tell, the mandate as Jim outlined applies to plumbing, or items used in food/drinking consumption. Most brass plumping (newer fittings) are lead free, there is usually a sicker on them specifically stating so. The banning of all brass products would be ludicrous , but then California leads the field in that endeavor (I left the bay area because of cost, taxation and insane regulations).

Just spitballing here, but it sounds to me like maybe Grizzly has chosen to not put up with the hassle of dealing with the CA warning label on their products, hence they can't ship them to CA.

In a similar vein, I mail ordered a fly tying vise a number of years ago which came with a warning label that said, in so many words, don't eat it. I had need to call the manufacturer about something else and asked them about the label while we were talking. He said it was required by CA law and they (the mfr.) didn't have any idea when a vise was boxed at the factory where it might wind up in a retail shop, so they just labeled all of them.

Tom

Awhile back there was a huge bin fill of brass fittings at the scrap yard so got some for air supply.

At a local mom and pop hardware store that is older than dirt they still have all of theirs and posted sign states "not for potable water"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I still believe that part of Calif. is going to break off (including all of the stupid people that adopt these laws, too) and fall in the ocean as we used to hear in our younger years! Mike, I hope you on the piece of land that stays put.

Back