New Caretaker of Two 12” Craftsman Lathes

kcoffield

Registered
Registered
Hi all, first post here. I’m the new caretaker of two 12” Craftsman lathes, one with a 42” bed and the other 54”. Though they recently came into my possession they are well known to me. The 42 is model 101.07403 number SN 16014 and the 54 is model 101.07403 SN 22500. The only place I’ve found anything resembling a serial number is stamped on the end of bed, and if I’m interpreting the database correctly, they appear to be built around 1946 on the 42 and 1948 for the 54……but I have not looked for the bearing dates. The 54 has a full set of change gears and the 42 has been fitted with an aftermarket QCGB, which has been in place for at least 50 years.

Lathes.JPG

Anyone familiar with the O’Brien QCGB?

QCGB.JPG

The 42 has been in my family for three generations and lived in my Grandfather’s shop since before I was a glean in my Father’s eye. I learned on that machine and my Grandfather and Father logged many hours at its controls. The 54 was acquired from family friends about 30 years ago. They have both resided in a what was formerly my Father’s and more recently my brother’s basement shop since then. I moved both of them down the flight of stairs myself 30 years ago. I was a much younger man then. I nearly wore out myself and a friendship bringing them back up those same stairs a couple months ago. I also saved a large collection of related lathe and expendable tooling…….too much to list.

I recently retired and had previously run a metal fab business so have never wanted for access to machinery (I’ll miss my LeBlond lathes). I have a fairly well-equipped home shop with a knee mill, general fab, welding, & sheet metal capability, and a home foundry. With all that, space is an issue. Every tool must earn its position my shop, but with my retirement and loss of access to the commercial equipment, the addition of a lathe to my home shop is a necessity. I can’t keep’em both and at least one will need a new home. I say at least one because after you’ve had the pleasure of using larger rigid machines, it’s hard to go backward, but given the history, the 42 tugs at my heart strings and I can’t bring myself to let it go so I figure I’ll set it up and run it.

So that’s the history. I’ve given each a cursory looking over. The 54 needs nothing except cleaning, lubing, and tuning which I have begun. I have used that one a couple times over the last 5-10 years. The 42 needs a new half nut (which I have) but other than that, they’re both complete and fully operational save a couple very minor things that I will attend to. I may find other things when I get deeper into them but given the environment they were in (mostly unused in a damp basement for several decades), they faired their slumber reasonably well. After I finish the cleaning, I’ll install new felts/wipers, make sure everything is well lubed, put each one through its paces, and perform some tuning as needed, then maybe some cosmetic stuff as time allows.

I’ve been reading here and watching some YouTube videos. Any pointers from those who know these machines well toward the usual areas requiring attention are welcome. I’ll need to build a suitable platform for mounting and leveling the 42 when I get there.

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome,

You have certainly come to the right place, I look forward to seeing more of your shop and projects to come.

John

Welcome to the group Kelly!

It's really great that you can continue to enjoy and use the lathe passed down from your Grandfather. Cleaning it up and
putting it back into service sounds like a nice project to start with in retirement.

We have a number of folks around here that know about Craftsman lathes including our resident expert wa5cab.
Don't hesitate to ask questions as they come up.

Welcome to the group and thank you for sharing the story of your lathes.
Knowing the history of machines somehow makes them alive to me.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a fantastic story - I can see that getting rid of either would be hard to do. Maybe if there's a youngish lad in your area that would like to take on caretaking duties it might make parting with one a little easier. Start a new "family tradition" with another story to be told in a generation or two.

Thanks for the welcome fellas. I spent most of yesterday cleaning and lubricating both of them. The gibs on the carriage, cross slide, and compound on the 54 all felt very good. I made a few light cuts with and without the back gears engaged, under power feed, and all seemed well. I didn't get out the dial indicators because I figure I may as well wait until it is mounted for any fine tuning. It could use a set of belts. I just installed new felts and wipers, lubed everything and called it a day on the 54. This one will likely be seeking a new caretaker.

Pretty much the same story on the 42 but it needs a half nut and could use a new set of belts, the former I intend to install today. Been giving some thought to a suitable bench and once I get it mounted and leveled, I'll dial it in. I do have some questions and will start another thread for those.

I found the outside jaws for each of the 3-jaws mounted on the lathes and in addition to those two chucks, I have an assortment of others; three 4-jaw, a couple 3-jaws set up with inside and outside jaws, and couple face plates. So I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed them as well...........not my favorite job but always glad when it's all done.

Lathe Chucks.jpg

Best,
Kelly

Nice lathes made even better by the history.
Welcome to the group Kelly!

-brino

So I replaced the half nuts on the 12x42 today. It was a little more involved than usual. I couldn’t get the carriage advanced far enough to expose the half nut mechanism because a thrust washer had been pressed on the lead screw and it wouldn’t clear the keyed bushing on the miter gear.

1 LS Washer.JPG

The washer diameter was just slightly larger than the ¾” lead screw so tough to get something on it to pull it without making something to do so. So next move was the other end of the lead screw. I could not see what was going on in the aftermarket O’Brien QCGB with it sitting near the floor so I just decided to pull QCGB, the apron, and the lead screw to get it up on the bench and see what was up.

2 QCGB Apron LS.JPG

Turns out, I could have just removed a bolt on the end of the lead screw and pulled the lead screw like with the Craftsman QCGB.

3.1.JPG

But I would have probably dropped and lost this little fitted key that interfaced with the drive gear if I had done so.

3.2 LS QCGB Key.JPG

But, in addition to cutting down the length of original lead screw, the modification for the QCGB seems to have pressed on a journal diameter with the keyway on that end that covers up the lead screw key way too, so I couldn’t pull the lead screw through the keyed miter gear bushing on the apron rendering it captive on the lead screw.

In any event, I was able to get a good look behind the apron, and everything looked really good, especially considering the age of the machine and the hours on it. There were some chips scattered behind the apron but not too bad. Still not a good idea to scatter chips with compressed air………but must say I’ve been guilty many times.

4 Behind Apron.JPG

Since they looked so good, I didn’t mess with the lead screw ends, and gave the lead screw and apron assembly a good cleaning while I had it on the bench.

My brother had told me it needed a half nut, but although there was some wear the real issue was some chips imbedded in the half nut. Here’s a picture of the half nut cleaned beside a couple ones.

5 Half Nuts.JPG

Some wear for sure, but I’ve certainly seen much worse and by my standards it had some life left in it. Since I had both a new Zamak and brass nut, I replaced it and greased up the gears behind the apron.

I gave the QCGB a good once-over and it looked very good so I just cleaned and re-lubed it.

6 QCGB.JPG

The QCGB was secured with three ¼-20 cap screws tapped into the side of the way and one small set screw on the top of the way near the head stock.

I installed the new half nuts and greased the gears behind the apron.

7 New Grease Apron.JPG

I did notice a braze repair on the banjo. Not sure when it happened and whether it was my Father or Grandfather that did the fix but it’s held for 30+ years so figured it was good enough for me.

8 Brazed Banjo.JPG

So I put it all back together, fired it up and put it through its paces………all is well. It’s ready for service and ready to outlive another generation of the family . I need to build a bench!

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:
Hello Kelly! It's Robert that you know from the casting forums. Awesome that you made it here with those nice lathes! The history is great.
BTW guys, Kelly does some amazing work with lost foam casting. Maybe we will see some here!
Robert

Hello Kelly! It's Robert that you know from the casting forums. Awesome that you made it here with those nice lathes! The history is great. BTW guys, Kelly does some amazing work with lost foam casting. Maybe we will see some here! Robert

Hey Robert good to hear from you. Still rock'n that fat tire e-bike around? Stop in and say hello at THF when you get a chance.

Best,
Kelly

Last edited:
Reactions: rwm
Back