• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

New Charter Oak 12Z on the way

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Yes that's the 5k version. I asked Paul about torque with the belt drive, one of their mills has the two speed belt drive installed and they have no problem drilling and tapping using the lower speed. I also exchanged email with ArizonaVideo who makes the kits and I got the feeling from him the 2 speed was the way to go.

Look here, my CO mill is INBOUND and if I make chips before you I'm going to mock you without mercy! :rofl:
Good to hear (about the mill)! :thumbsup2:

I just figured out that I screwed up... My clamp kit that I have for the PM25 is too small for El Hefe. He takes 5/8". So I just ordered a kit. Hopefully it will be here in a few days. So now I'm wondering what else I missed... :thinking:

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well, I'm not sure what to do. I need to buy collets for the new machine and am not sure if I want to buy more R8 collets or maybe go ER. Thoughts?
Nothing wrong with R8 & they are the cheaper route to go. I just like using ER collets more & I also use them on the lathe. R8 collets grip towards the front of the collet so the smaller the shank is off of the collet size the less grip it will have. ER collets clamp over the full length of the collet so they should be more accurate in theory & have tighter clamping forces. They also have a wider clamping range per collet size.

Downsides are if using in the lathe they're not good for clamping shorter work like 5C would. And the use of a collet chuck ads extension to the spindle & you loose Z capacity. But I have not had a problem with chatter or lack of Z on my PM45. And if I ever need to couple of inches or so in Z I could always just pop in a R8 collet. My mill came with a cheap set of 8th R8 collets so I'm fine with that.

Although I really don't mind messing with the drawbar, some people like ER for not having to mess with the draw bar for tooling changes. I currently have 3 ER chucks & just swap them out with endmills ready to go in them. ER is the most common collet system for workholding throughout the world. I personally probably don't need the benefits that they offer but I sure do love them over R8 collets.

MarioM

Active User
Good job!!...Your new mill looks great. I know the feeling of the mill hanging in the air.

dave2176

Active User
Well, I'm not sure what to do. I need to buy collets for the new machine and am not sure if I want to buy more R8 collets or maybe go ER. Thoughts?
I'm thinking Tormach. Like the thought of everything hanging on a holder and changing it out with a spring/pneumatic changer.

Dave

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I'm thinking Tormach. Like the thought of everything hanging on a holder and changing it out with a spring/pneumatic changer.

Dave
If I stay with the R8s I can upgrade to the CO quick change system pretty easily.

brav65

Active User
Awesome Bill! My mill showed up today, I got it uncrated and up on the base, but that was it.

maker of things

Hermit
I'm staying with r8 tooling. I scavenged a kurt power drawbar from an scrapped hurco that someday I will install. Figured that would be best of both worlds. dedicated R8 endmill holders for 1/4 ,3/8 and 1/2" endmills, r8 er 32 collet chuck for all others. There is an ebay vendor that sells 10 packs of er32 collet chucks with 3/4" straight shanks (tormach style) that I seriously considered, but found just a few too many instances of the holders getting pulled out during heavy cuts (my favorite kind).

Seriously check out the tormach superfly cutter though. They have some decent thought behind driving the available hp to one insert (in my amateur opinion).

maker of things

Hermit
Good to hear (about the mill)! :thumbsup2:

I just figured out that I screwed up... My clamp kit that I have for the PM25 is too small for El Hefe. He takes 5/8". So I just ordered a kit. Hopefully it will be here in a few days. So now I'm wondering what else I missed... :thinking:
Bill, I would double check your slots. I tried a 5/8 nut and it was tight most places on my bed. I am ordering 9/16".

coolidge

Active User
If I stay with the R8s I can upgrade to the CO quick change system pretty easily.
FYI I don't believe the Mach 1 quick change is compatible with the belt drive, I saw that mentioned by someone who purchased both and CO said ooops. After looking at Mach 1 and Royal Products quick change systems I'm probably just going with this collet chuck set http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=953531&PMAKA=505-2213 and a Albrecht R8 keyless chuck, been there done that before.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Bill, I would double check your slots. I tried a 5/8 nut and it was tight most places on my bed. I am ordering 9/16".
Well thanks for the heads up Jon, even it's it a bit too late. ;)

Too large can be taken care of on Blue (mill) or even a belt grinder if they are not too far out of spec. I have no welding capability so too small is a show stopper.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Well, I heard back from the vendor about my shop hoist. The manufacturer cannot/will not ship the missing pieces, so the vendor was asking me to ship the whole thing back to him for replacement with another one. Laudable, but the cheesy boxes this thing came in were utterly destroyed getting the thing here the first time. His comment was "any two boxes will do". For almost 150lbs. of metal. Wow.

So I checked Speedy Metals for some 2.5" square tubing and asked the vendor to cover material costs for me to fix this. He accepted, so now I get to finish my boom for my hoist. But I'll do it a bit better than the factory...

SO glad I had that 1T sitting on the other side of the garage...

Chris Bettis

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the chip tray on El Hefe?
I just bought a 12z mill should be here late November early December they are out of stock right now. :( I already made a stand for it, Paul at CO sent me a dimensional print for the base of the machine to build off of. I just picked up some 16ga cold roll 48x36" today, I plan to make a chip tray for it in the next couple weeks just have to source a bending brake to use. If you had the option would you make the chip tray any larger? Or is it good how it is?

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I'll get some dimensions tomorrow morning for you. I don't know where Littleton is (haven't been here long...) but if you want to see one up close to help better visualize you are more than welcome to come over.

EDIT: Just looked you up, your just south of Denver. Not too far, shop's a mess and the mill is covered in chips right now, but the offer still stands. :)

Chris Bettis

That would be awesome actually. Littleton is basically a suburb turned city in sw Denver.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I'm home (in the shop) all day tomorrow. Sunday is golf and football... :D

Chris Bettis

Tomorrow ill be in greeley with the gf for a dog show. She is a proffesional dog trainer, showing our (her) german shepherd, I doubt she will want to make an extra stop possibly one of the coming weekends would be better.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Whatever works for you. I'm home most weekends.

Chris Bettis

Awesome, I must say im getting pretty ansy to get her, ( mill) initially i was expecting it to come in next week ish. But shipping problems in china delayed things. I've been on pins and needles for a month. Been wanting my own mill for 10 yrs now since I graduated at warren tech.

Chris Bettis

Out of curiosity, what are the power requirements as far as amperage go for that beast? Even better if you knew difference between single phase vs, the 3 phase motor. I'll be wiring up a dedicated circuit for the mill while waiting for it to arrive.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
I was told a 20 amp circuit would handle it, so I had a 30 amp put in. :)

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the chip tray on El Hefe?
I just bought a 12z mill should be here late November early December they are out of stock right now. :( I already made a stand for it, Paul at CO sent me a dimensional print for the base of the machine to build off of. I just picked up some 16ga cold roll 48x36" today, I plan to make a chip tray for it in the next couple weeks just have to source a bending brake to use. If you had the option would you make the chip tray any larger? Or is it good how it is?
Roughly 37" deep by 47" wide. Edges are bent up and the corners welded. Tray is not centered, it's more biased towards and short of the Y-axis handle so you aren't bothered by it when cranking on the handle.

[6]
[5] [7]