New Charter Oak 12Z on the way

Yes that's the 5k version. I asked Paul about torque with the belt drive, one of their mills has the two speed belt drive installed and they have no problem drilling and tapping using the lower speed. I also exchanged email with ArizonaVideo who makes the kits and I got the feeling from him the 2 speed was the way to go.

Look here, my CO mill is INBOUND and if I make chips before you I'm going to mock you without mercy! :rofl:

Good to hear (about the mill)! :thumbsup2:

I just figured out that I screwed up... My clamp kit that I have for the PM25 is too small for El Hefe. He takes 5/8". So I just ordered a kit. Hopefully it will be here in a few days. So now I'm wondering what else I missed... :thinking:

Well, I'm not sure what to do. I need to buy collets for the new machine and am not sure if I want to buy more R8 collets or maybe go ER. Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with R8 & they are the cheaper route to go. I just like using ER collets more & I also use them on the lathe. R8 collets grip towards the front of the collet so the smaller the shank is off of the collet size the less grip it will have. ER collets clamp over the full length of the collet so they should be more accurate in theory & have tighter clamping forces. They also have a wider clamping range per collet size.

Downsides are if using in the lathe they're not good for clamping shorter work like 5C would. And the use of a collet chuck ads extension to the spindle & you loose Z capacity. But I have not had a problem with chatter or lack of Z on my PM45. And if I ever need to couple of inches or so in Z I could always just pop in a R8 collet. My mill came with a cheap set of 8th R8 collets so I'm fine with that.

Although I really don't mind messing with the drawbar, some people like ER for not having to mess with the draw bar for tooling changes. I currently have 3 ER chucks & just swap them out with endmills ready to go in them. ER is the most common collet system for workholding throughout the world. I personally probably don't need the benefits that they offer but I sure do love them over R8 collets.

Good job!!...Your new mill looks great. I know the feeling of the mill hanging in the air.

Well, I'm not sure what to do. I need to buy collets for the new machine and am not sure if I want to buy more R8 collets or maybe go ER. Thoughts?

I'm thinking Tormach. Like the thought of everything hanging on a holder and changing it out with a spring/pneumatic changer.

Dave

I'm thinking Tormach. Like the thought of everything hanging on a holder and changing it out with a spring/pneumatic changer.

Dave

If I stay with the R8s I can upgrade to the CO quick change system pretty easily.

Awesome Bill! My mill showed up today, I got it uncrated and up on the base, but that was it.

I'm staying with r8 tooling. I scavenged a kurt power drawbar from an scrapped hurco that someday I will install. Figured that would be best of both worlds. dedicated R8 endmill holders for 1/4 ,3/8 and 1/2" endmills, r8 er 32 collet chuck for all others. There is an ebay vendor that sells 10 packs of er32 collet chucks with 3/4" straight shanks (tormach style) that I seriously considered, but found just a few too many instances of the holders getting pulled out during heavy cuts (my favorite kind).

Seriously check out the tormach superfly cutter though. They have some decent thought behind driving the available hp to one insert (in my amateur opinion).

Good to hear (about the mill)! :thumbsup2:

I just figured out that I screwed up... My clamp kit that I have for the PM25 is too small for El Hefe. He takes 5/8". So I just ordered a kit. Hopefully it will be here in a few days. So now I'm wondering what else I missed... :thinking:
Bill, I would double check your slots. I tried a 5/8 nut and it was tight most places on my bed. I am ordering 9/16".

If I stay with the R8s I can upgrade to the CO quick change system pretty easily.

FYI I don't believe the Mach 1 quick change is compatible with the belt drive, I saw that mentioned by someone who purchased both and CO said ooops. After looking at Mach 1 and Royal Products quick change systems I'm probably just going with this collet chuck set http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=953531&PMAKA=505-2213 and a Albrecht R8 keyless chuck, been there done that before.

Bill, I would double check your slots. I tried a 5/8 nut and it was tight most places on my bed. I am ordering 9/16".

Well thanks for the heads up Jon, even it's it a bit too late. ;)

Too large can be taken care of on Blue (mill) or even a belt grinder if they are not too far out of spec. I have no welding capability so too small is a show stopper.

Back