New chips on a new mill

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a new ACER 3VS 9x49 recently, and fabricated this collet rack yesterday. It bolts to the turret bolts at the top of the column. The old Bridgeport I sold had a similar one that I liked a lot so I fabricated a new one with some extra space for accessories.

I drew it up in Autocad, printed it out actual size, taped it to 1/4inch thick aluminum plate, screwed that to 3/4inch MDF, and center punched the centers of all the holes.

Collet_rack1.jpg

Below is after boring all the holes with Hougen annular cutters. I haven't yet 'transplanted" the DRO yet because my new longer scale for the X-axis hasn't arrived yet, so I used a combination of using the hand wheels (near zero backlash) and eyeballing the center punches.

Collet_rack3.jpg

After cutting out the form on the bandsaw.

Collet_rack4.jpg

Deburred, and scotch brighted. The small 4-bolt pattern is for the base of a halogen lamp.

Collet_rack_finished.jpg

On the job.

Collet_rack_finished2.jpg

Another view,

Collet_rack_finished3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice addition to your new mill!

It makes life so much easier when things have a place to be put and of course when they get put there.

mal

LOL: Wish I could hit the like button more than once!

Ray

Here are some pics from my workshop - I guess just to show that I try hard to have a place for things to belong and put things back so I can find them next time. Makes work a lot easier.

MalMAL_9566.jpgMAL_9567.jpgMAL_9568.jpgMAL_9569.jpg

Here are some pics from my workshop - I guess just to show that I try hard to have a place for things to belong and put things back so I can find them next time. Makes work a lot easier.

MalView attachment 265287View attachment 265288View attachment 265289View attachment 265290

Hi Mal... I'm not setup to make custom drawer liners but I would makes ones like yours if I was. Here's what I'm going with instead. For starters, I've ordered a couple of each.

1523921482834.png 1523921513409.png

And of course, a roll of the drawer liner material. This rubberized stuff is great. I've got it in all my current boxes.
1523921611975.png

Oh, I can't wait until my toolboxes arrive...

Ray

Ray, lots of different ways to make your workshop work for you. Plastic trays are good and I had not thought about the rubberised lining for various locations - that is a good idea.

Mal

Back