New Chuck for Milling Machine...Chum Power

rbertalotto

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My 20 year old milling machine needed a new chuck and R8 spindle. The old Jacobs key chuck was showing .023 runout!
I looked at a few $200+ chucks and spindles but decided to take a chance on a Taiwan import. $115.00
Found this on Amazon and bought it:

Actually, pretty good. It is showing less than .002TIR. Locks up nice and tight with just hand pressure.

Sometimes you win!

P1040011.JPG
P1040013.JPG

We bought a cheapo keyless chuck from shars at my work. We tend to use a lot of s&d drills on our mill in back gear. It would self tighten so much that we had to use a pipe wrench to remove the drill bit. This has happened several times. I hope you have a better experience with yours. It works fine with normal size drill bits.

I thought it was not recommended to use sd drills in keyless chucks because they can self tighten to the point of getting fully locked and damaged?

I had read that also....S&D + keyless = bad... I'll keep my old Jacobs key chuck for that, as when I'm drilling a whole that big, I always start with a pilot hole. And I'm not usually looking for great accuracy. If I need great accuracy I'll use a boring head.

My 20 year old milling machine needed a new chuck and R8 spindle. The old Jacobs key chuck was showing .023 runout!
I looked at a few $200+ chucks and spindles but decided to take a chance on a Taiwan import. $115.00
Found this on Amazon and bought it:

Actually, pretty good. It is showing less than .002TIR. Locks up nice and tight with just hand pressure.

Sometimes you win!

View attachment 351938
View attachment 351939

I have had one for a few years NO PROBLEMS

I stopped using a keyless chuck (actualy gave them away), because they would tighten to the point, where you needed a pipe wrench with only a 1/4” drill bit. They were 2 Albrechts and a Rohm, to me keyless chucks are junk, no matter who makes them.

I've bought chinesium keyless chucks both failed after a year or so. I then bought a Rohm. haven't had any problems runout is .001

Back