New Clausing 6913 - Gear box engagement lever fixed!!!!

Since nobody answered #6 yet. It’s the slave cylinder with hydraulic hose for the vari drive. And #3 is the hand wheel that goes onto the back end of the head stock spindle. In post #12 you have your hand on the spindle clutch. Up is to engage the spindle, in the middle is neutral and down is for brake. And a note on that handle; that lathe handle has a history of being finicky and not staying in the up position! You might need to repair and or adjust it. Same note on the vari drive sleeve set-up. AND YOU GOT A SCREAMING DEAL, YOU SUCK!

Does that slave cylinder need to be reinstalled? In post 12 I meant to add a question. It is free. It doesn't turn the rod. I haven't had a chance to put any tools to it and thought maybe it was just loose. I wondered with that electrical stuff he put on it maybe it wasn't needed anymore. Any thoughts? I haven't even been able to turn it on and have all these questions. I wonder how many I'll have after it gets running! Is there a limit in this forum of posting too much????? :)

I knew it was a good deal but, I'm starting to think its better than I imagined. No clue what they are worth to be honest. I know its more than I gave them though. One thing about it though is the guy that passed and owned it, wanted it to go to a good home. My thoughts, kind of like giving your favorite dog to somebody, only certain people are worthy of it. He was a VERY picky perfectionist(all meant in a good way) I have big shoes to fill for his standards but I'm going to do my best to make him proud. I cant even run it yet but its already a member of the family. :) That's part of the reason I want help from here. The 3950 I bought was used before it even had its own designated spot. This new one I'm actually kind of nervous turning it on!(not that I can anyway, no 220 yet in the shop, still waiting for my electrician buddy to stop by and see what I need to do) If I do something, like have a setting wrong, this thing looks like it will shred things up. The 3950 would slip a belt in the same case and a lot less dangerous.

The electrical add on's are a concern to me. I was told the original owner had some issues with it. Just knowing the original owner, if .005 was within spec, he'd want it at .0005. So I'm thinking if the electrical boxes make it work with single phase correctly, it may be fine for me, but wasn't close enough for him(hope that makes sense) The guy literally used to work for Martin Marietta and built parts for the space shuttle. I think the precise was a strong enough word for him :)
Did you get a steady rest with it .
I think you will be happy with this lathe
I have a Clausing 4914 .
I bought it in a Auction for $325.
But it was in bad shape real bad shape .
The motor mount was broke
The idler pulley casting base had to be replaced
All the belts had to be replaced. the bearings in the motor and the bearings in the idler shaft had to be replaced . Oil cups two of them had to be bought
I had to buy a dog drive plate , I had to buy a 8" four jaw chuck and adapter plate , I bought two adapter
Plates . I bought a used steady rest .
I bought a Jacobs super chuck for the tail stock
A live center . The dead center and spindle adapter for the dead center . I found a Armstrong universal lantern tool post kit on eBay and bought it .
I bought the AXA quick change tool post
And four tool holders two boring bar holders
A complete set of boring bars . Cutoff tool holder
Cutoff blades . A set of indexable Turning tools
A lot of HSS tool bits square all sizes from 1/8 to 1/2 . The list his on .
$6000. Plus in it now

Does that slave cylinder need to be reinstalled? In post 12 I meant to add a question. It is free. It doesn't turn the rod. I haven't had a chance to put any tools to it and thought maybe it was just loose. I wondered with that electrical stuff he put on it maybe it wasn't needed anymore. Any thoughts? I haven't even been able to turn it on and have all these questions. I wonder how many I'll have after it gets running! Is there a limit in this forum of posting too much????? :)
Not that I know of I think you get page after page on your thread

Does the lathe have the same handle on the right side of the carriage? If so, what does it do?

I would like to please see a picture of the left end of the lathe with both the top and bottom covers off, thank you. I can better help you if I can get that pic.

Does the lathe have the same handle on the right side of the carriage? If so, what does it do?
It does have another handle on the right side and it does turn the square shaft. The right hand lever has a square hole in it, the left side appears to be a round hole.

I would like to please see a picture of the left end of the lathe with both the top and bottom covers off, thank you. I can better help you if I can get that pic.
I will get pics tomorrow for you. I certainly appreciate everyone's help with this.

Did you get a steady rest with it .
I think you will be happy with this lathe
I have a Clausing 4914 .
I bought it in a Auction for $325.
But it was in bad shape real bad shape .
The motor mount was broke
The idealr pulley casting base had to be replaced
All the belts had to be replaced the bearings in the motor and the bearings in the idealr shaft had to be replaced . Oil cups two of them had to be bought
I had to buy a dog drive plate , I had to buy a 8" four jaw chuck and adaptor plate , I bought two adaptor
Plates . I bought a used steady rest .
I bought a Jacobs super chuck for the tail stock
A live center . The dead center and spindle adaptor for the dead center . I found a Armstrong universal lantern tool post kit on eBay and bought it .
I bought the AXA quick change tool post
And four tool holders two boring bar holders
A complete set of boring bars . Cutoff tool holder
Cutoff blades . A set of indexable Turning tools
A lot of HSS tool bits square all sizes from 1/8 to 1/2 . The list his on .
$6000. Plus in it now
I'm on my phone so I may miss some info. I did not get a steady rest. Basically the pics I sent was all of the parts I got.
One other question I forgot to ask is I got a 2 mt live center, but it doesn't fit anything in it. Still.confused about that. Any ideas?

It does have another handle on the right side and it does turn the square shaft. The right hand lever has a square hole in it, the left side appears to be a round hole.
OK then, on an OEM Clausing 6900 series both handles are common to the same square shaft. Maybe your left handle is missing or has a sheared pin? You will need to look at it. Sorry, I can only guess. Or maybe the previous owner had other ideas for the handle?

Back