New Clausing 6913 - Gear box engagement lever fixed!!!!

I'm on my phone so I may miss some info. I did not get a steady rest. Basically the pics I sent was all of the parts I got.
One other question I forgot to ask is I got a 2 mt live center, but it doesn't fit anything in it. Still.confused about that. Any ideas?
It’s not confusing, we can help with that. The tail stock has a #3 Morse. So yes, that live center will not fit the way it is. All you need is a 2 to 3 Morse sleeve. You got a taper attachment but no steady rest???? It’s usually the other way around. Did you look ALL over the persons shop for it? That steady rest is going to be $$$.

Last edited:
You must be livin right. Not a deal a steal , from what I see a good cleaning should be all it needs. Your LATHES completely set up , the same machine with next to no tooling or wired to a vfd . I've just got to say welcome and you suck . YUPP most valuable deal

It’s not confusing, we can help with that. The tail stock has a #3 Morse. So yes, that live center will not fit the way it is. All you need is a 2 to 3 Morse sleeve. You got a taper attachment but no steady rest???? It’s usually the other way around. Did you look ALL over the persons shop for it? That steady rest is going to be $$$.
Yep that Taper attachment is worth $1500. Buy it self .

Did you get a steady rest with it .
I think you will be happy with this lathe
I have a Clausing 4914 .
I bought it in a Auction for $325.
But it was in bad shape real bad shape .
The motor mount was broke
The idealr pulley casting base had to be replaced
All the belts had to be replaced the bearings in the motor and the bearings in the idealr shaft had to be replaced . Oil cups two of them had to be bought
I had to buy a dog drive plate , I had to buy a 8" four jaw chuck and adaptor plate , I bought two adaptor
Plates . I bought a used steady rest .
I bought a Jacobs super chuck for the tail stock
A live center . The dead center and spindle adaptor for the dead center . I found a Armstrong universal lantern tool post kit on eBay and bought it .
I bought the AXA quick change tool post
And four tool holders two boring bar holders
A complete set of boring bars . Cutoff tool holder
Cutoff blades . A set of indexable Turning tools
A lot of HSS tool bits square all sizes from 1/8 to 1/2 . The list his on .
$6000. Plus in it now

No steady rest unfortunately. I did look through the shop but it was kind of mayhem in there. After he passed I think while the stuff that was willed away was being moved everything in the way got shifted to the side, repeatedly. It was not easy to get around or get to anything really. I did briefly look around but didn't see anything that appeared to be machining tools of any sort. Not saying they may not be in a box on a shelf though either. Going to get in touch again and give him some thing to keep an eye out for.

I bought an atlas 3950 originally and got educated on the cost of these things so I feel your pain. It was used to build fishing poles from what I was told. I used it for a while and even cut threads!!! Not intentionally but hey, i'm new to it!!! At least it looked sort of like threads, maybe 14.7 TPI or 16.3 TPT not sure, my thread pitch gauges didn't match up, and sharp as hell!! ;-) I bought more stuff on ebay and got twice the price in tools than I payed for the lathe!!!!

Thank you for the pics. The hydraulic linkage has been removed from the vari speed feature. The speed dial on top of the head stock will not work at present. But that may have been done on purpose. Maybe the previous owner abandoned the vari drive and instead used the VFD to change speeds.

Thank you for the pics. The hydraulic linkage has been removed from the vari speed feature. The speed dial on top of the head stock will not work at present. But that may have been done on purpose. Maybe the previous owner abandoned the vari drive and instead used the VFD to change speeds.

VFD? Variable feed drive??? Whats it stand for. Is that the white electrical box on the top youre referring to?

VFD is variable frequency drive. It changes the frequency of the feed going to the motor to vary its speed. Normal line voltage is 60 Hz; your VFD will probably let you vary from around 5 Hz to 200 Hz. End result for the motor is it will turn at 1/12 the speed ( 5 Hz / 60 Hz times motor speed at 60) at the low end around around triple at the high end. The VFD will also take single phase voltage and convert it to 3-phase for your stock 3-phase motor.

By the way, there are a few links out there on guys fiddling with the hydraulic variable speed drive. The VFD will be much less hassle. You'll really enjoy that lathe. I have a #5418 from around 1963 that came from a high school shop. Really solid, well built machine.

Bruce

The VFD will also take single phase voltage and convert it to 3-phase for your stock 3-phase motor.

This I find very interesting. What I'm understanding is plug it in and try with that VFD on it and it should be good to run it that way? This was one of my main concerns when I got this thing(electricity is NOT my major) It kind of scares me actually(unless its motorcycles or atv's, then I'm fine) My electrician hasn't been by yet so thanks for answering that question. Now I need to blow his phone up and get me some 220 in here!!!

DH,

On the manual, that is the same as the one here and in Downloads. Except that I spotted the extra out of place page and deleted it. That does tell me where my copy originally came from, though.

Back