New Clausing 6913 - Gear box engagement lever fixed!!!!

You bought a nice lathe there and got a screaming deal on it. Just that 6 jaw chuck is worth more that you paid for everything. Lots of useful tooling, stuff you don't normally see. :encourage:

View attachment 232287 Not sure on what these are? Do they belong to this machine? Missing parts?

#1 and the lower item in #8 look like collet closers or adapters. The upper item in #8 might be a thread protector. If it will screw onto the right end of the spindle, that's probably what it is. The long tube (no number) right-center of the photo with the lever attached is a lever-type collet closer. Worth about half of what you paid for the whole lot. It inserts into the spindle from the left end and screws onto the left end of the spindle. A collet closer or adapter would be inserted firmly into the spindle taper (after screwing on the thread protector). A collet would be inserted into the closer with the longitudinal slot in the collet aligned with the short pin inside the closer. You twist something on the left end of the attachment to screw the tube onto the collet. When properly adjusted (tube screwed onto collet the proper amount, you slide a workpiece into the collet and move the lever to draw the collet closed on the workpiece. Moving the lever in the other direction releases the collet from the workpiece.

#5 is a single diameter (they are also made to cover a range of diameters) Pin Spanner. Used to turn, tighten or loosen something round with a hole in its OD for the pin.

Last edited:
Sweet, thank you. Is there a manual out there for tear down and rebuild or just use the owners manual(had clausing email one to me yesterday, just haven't read through it completely.) Also that is everything that came with it. I don't have any collets. What kind of oil goes in the gear boxes or is all that stated in the op manual? Thanks for all the help.

#1 and the lower item in #8 look like collet closers or adapters. The upper item in #8 might be a thread protector. If it will screw onto the right end of the spindle, that's probably what it is. The long tube (no number) right-center of the photo with the lever attached is a lever-type collet closer. Worth about half of what you paid for the whole lot. It inserts into the spindle from the left end and screws onto the left end of the spindle. A collet closer or adapter would be inserted firmly into the spindle taper (after screwing on the thread protector). A collet would be inserted into the closer with the longitudinal slot in the collet aligned with the short pin inside the closer. You twist something on the left end of the attachment to screw the tube onto the collet. When properly adjusted (tube screwed onto collet the proper amount, you slide a workpiece into the collet and move the lever to draw the collet closed on the workpiece. Moving the lever in the other direction releases the collet from the workpiece.

#5 is a single diameter (they are also made to cover a range of diameters) Pin Spanner. Used to turn, tighten or loosen something round with a hole in its OD for the pin.

I figured 5 was just a spanner but I didn't see anywhere that it looked like it would fit. When this whole estate took place there was also a mill(I never saw it though) and wasn't sure if some of the tools went with it possibly. Who knows, the guy that got the mill may have parts for the lathe too. Not sure. This thing is way out of my league but I'll figure it out. I appreciate all the help on this, I really do.

Back