New Clausing 8520 owner...collet question

zakruvalcaba

Registered
Registered
So I just recently sold my round column Rong Fu RF31 and purchased a Clausing 8520 locally. I get it home in a couple of weeks and in the meantime would like to source a set of collets so that I can start using the machine as soon as it arrives. The RF31 used R8 collets and so they all went with the machine since I couldn't use them. Ideally I'd like to pick up a quality set of US-based collets if they're around but will opt for a Chinese set with a quick change holder if anyone has had good luck with any particular set. So I guess my questions are: Is there a source for a good used set of US-made MT2 collets? If not, which Chinese sets have you guys had good luck with on these Clausings? Thanks!

I got lucky with mine and it came with the original collets. I did some research on other options and I think Little Machine Shop sells a set or individual and also check Shars. I think both are Chinese. There are a couple of US manufactures but they a pretty steep in price.

Yeah I've purchased quite a bit from both companies and am familiar with their quality. Was just hoping for some other options other than Chinese stuff.

Hardinge still makes them.

You are lucky they are MT#2, mine 8520 was B&S 7, a lot harder to find.

I ended up buying a set on Amazon. Collet holder with a MT2 shank and a set of ER32 collects.

Hi and welcome. How do you know the new to you Clausing mill has a MT2 taper? That mill came in several flavors...Dave

Thank you. I've posted before in the RF31 forum so I'm not new to the forum but certainly a rookie in the machining world.

Ordinarily, I probably wouldn't. But 1, I assumed that all 8520's had MT2 tapers and 2, the previous owner used a collet holder with a MT2 taper on it. He didn't include the collets because he was going to use them on his Atlas lathe which was also MT2.

Congrats nice little mill, need pictures it's a must see ,,, almost on here,,,. And welcome to the site.

Back