New Counter-shaft Bushings

chpjr

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I bought Oilite bearings for the counter-shaft spindle on my 12" Craftsman. I found a part number searching this forum. I had a couple of questions about them though.

1. Do you think they should be soaked in oil before installation?
  2. The old bearings have a hole drilled in them where the oil cup is located. Is that necessary for the Oilite bearings, or will the oil seep through the bearing material?

Thanks,

chpjr

Greetings, when i replaced the ones on my 618 i pre-soaked them, i did not drill them and they never get warm even after 3 hours steady use.

If you really don't want to drill the holes you should be fine just installing them as they are..... Oil should penetrate the bushings during use....

What would be considered heavy oil? I was thinking something like motor oil (10W-30, or something like that). Is there something better to use?

What would be considered heavy oil? I was thinking something like motor oil (10W-30, or something like that). Is there something better to use?

Never use motor oil on a machine..... Motor oil has detergents in it.... Use light spindle oil like Mobil Velocite #10, or Mobil DTE 24..... Even air tool oil would be better than motor oil....

Try putting them in a vacuum seal freezer bag with the oil and vacuuming them and leave overnight. Use any good hydraulic oil.

Okay, thanks. Air tool and hydraulic oil I have. I'll look for the other recommended ones.

Never use motor oil on a machine..... Motor oil has detergents in it.... Use light spindle oil like Mobil Velocite #10, or Mobil DTE 24..... Even air tool oil would be better than motor oil....

The main reason to Not use motor oil with detergent additives is because of the way they attract and absorb moisture! Basically the amount of detergent additives used is directly correlated to how hygroscopic (water absorbing) the oil will be! This collection of moisture will eventually cause your machine to start corroding and forming sludge in the oil reservoirs and feed system.

With that said, Motor Oil without the additives such as, "STP non detergent motor oil" that is made for 1930s and earlier antique cars can be used in a pinch if needed.

Back