New cross slide dial and bearings

I still have yet to stamp the numbers on the dial, but this project has made a big improvement on my lathe. I've attached a .pdf of my drawings for the parts and the part numbers for the bearings I used. I can't guarantee that the drawings are perfect. If anybody else tries to make this and finds an error in the drawings, please let me know.

Attachments

• Craftsman Lathe Cross Slide Upgrade.pdf
    679.9 KB · Views: 51
Really nice work!

Sorry to reply to a two year old thread, but I think we'd all prefer to forget the last couple of years.

Thanks. I still have yet to stamp numbers on the dial, but I liked the setup so much I made another for my Logan lathe just like it. I also found an Atlas milling attachment that I plan to do something similar on as well.

Thanks. I still have yet to stamp numbers on the dial, but I liked the setup so much I made another for my Logan lathe just like it. I also found an Atlas milling attachment that I plan to do something similar on as well.
I did my lathe dials with stamps and scribing/indexing on the lathe.

I've since acquired a Gorton P1-2 pantograph engraver, though, and now want to engrave or re-engrave EVERYTHING in my shop. (It's now my favorite machine —great fun.) It's a tricky beast to master and completely antiquated technology for any production use, but man it's cool to use forming guides to engrave dials.

I know this thread is several years old at this point but, I have a question, I think I know the answer to but am going to ask anyway.

Are the 2 holes in the face of the extension for using a pin wrench to tighten the assembly in place?

Very nicely executed and a great write-up.

Joat

Thank you. The holes are for a pin spanner to tighten the bearing holder. On the version I did for my Logan lathe, I drilled a single hole in the outer circumference that I timed to be on the bottom when tightened. It was a simpler solution that maintains a cleaner look.

I think I've found my next project/upgrade for my Logan...

J

It really has made a world of difference in using the lathe. Here is the thread for my Logan and you can see the first version for the Logan. Since I made this one, I've been working on an updated version for the Logan that requires extending the cross slide lead screw to gain about 0.800" of extra travel. Happy to share drawings for that one as well if you're interested.

That would be much appreciated. Now u just have to finish up the 3 projects I've got going in my "spare time" and I can start on these lol.

Back