New crystal for old dial indicator.....

Hi Dan, the one I bought was already curved, so I did NOT need the special press that's shown at that Long-Island Indicator link in post #1 above.
I see the link to the ebay one I bought is still active too (seller "sina_shoper").
-brino
Thanks!
I've got a Federal TestMaster and a Starrett #196 that need crystals, not to mention all the 'yellowed' ones that I have in my stash.
Looking over the page on LII it does look a bit tricky. I hoping that the Federal will just glue in. The Starrett looks a bit complicated.
Going to measure today and see what I can find.
0921201615__C.jpg...0921201615a__C.jpg

Brino,

Nice work a new crystal is putting that DI back in service it's like looking at something at night versus daylight. Great link too Long Island Indicator is very good at sharing information. Thank you

Middle.road,

The Starrett 196 indicator crystal is very easy to service I just happened to do one earlier today, what a coincidence. Just grab the bezel with your fingernails (green arrow in picture) and slowly work your way around to remove it. The crystal is available from Starrett and just slips in the bezel. The hardest part is getting the bezel started back on the case. Once started work around the bezel until it's fully seated.

IMG_2997.JPG

@NilesRock

Your first post is a good one, thanks for sharing your recent experience.
Welcome to the group!

-brino

Brino,

Nice work a new crystal is putting that DI back in service it's like looking at something at night versus daylight. Great link too Long Island Indicator is very good at sharing information. Thank you

Middle.road,

The Starrett 196 indicator crystal is very easy to service I just happened to do one earlier today, what a coincidence. Just grab the bezel with your fingernails (green arrow in picture) and slowly work your way around to remove it. The crystal is available from Starrett and just slips in the bezel. The hardest part is getting the bezel started back on the case. Once started work around the bezel until it's fully seated.

View attachment 338041
Thanks!
I was wondering how that came off. Would not have bet that it was a friction fit.

Going to have to contact MR about a couple of my other ones.

Back