New Diamond Mill Followed Me Home

I'm having fun cleaning it up, also got the motor wires identified and re-mounted it- looks like the drum switch contacts are just about shot from running it on 110; I'm going to run it on 220 from now on :cool: just need to run a dedicated power line...I've got a bad back so things take a little longer these days.
The Rotex head uses a "double taper, Y style" collet size. I was able to pick up a couple more good used ones from Steve at Tools-N-Gizmos.com. Those collets reportedly have good grip force but they lack the collapse range of the ER styles. No problem for me.
I think I'll try a cold repair on that pulley- is there a better epoxy than JB weld? I've had good luck with it in the past.
Mark S.

This looks great! Please keep us updated with your progress of this little machine! Do you plan to run it with the vertical head, or mostly with the horizontal spindle? Mine came with a Rusnok head, which seems really similar to the Rotex, but I've never used it. I'm sort of curious how well it can take a cut.

Hi Erichimedes- the Rotex took a 1/4" deep cut with a 1/4" endmill in some 6061 before I bought it, I bought some BS-9 collets so I can put endmills in the spindle horizontally too so I'll probably use it those two ways the most. I have the arbor but I don't see using it very much. I might want to try some steel planing but cutters are expensive.
The Rotex is heavy (about 60 lbs) so I won't be taking it on/off very often :)
Mark S.

Very cool Mark. Mine came with the ram, but didn't come with the overarm support or an arbor. I think I'll probably make one someday, but if for no other reason than just to have it. It's also missing the table power feed driveshaft, so if you see one, send it my way. I'd love to outfit it as it was when sold.

It's kind of a machine desert here, however I have heard there's quite a few Diamond owners in southern California. Apparently there's not a whole lot of information about Diamond tool or the machines themselves- no manuals or parts lists. I wish I knew how many of each model were produced, and where all their spare parts ended up.
Mark S.

Back