New early 1900's Cincinnati Shaper Project

Tiny bit more progress. Gibb's are drilled for mounting. Now to shape to final size and scrape flat.

IMG_20181209_164443527_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181209_164426218_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181209_164456793_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181209_164443527_HDR.jpg

You ever get your 20” finished? The pics are awesome! Wanted to let you know I’ve got an almost identical one but it’s a bit older than yours I believe.

I hadn’t looked up anything about mine in a long time & just discovered your thread - oh well, better late than never I guess.

Been a long time since I had those ram retainer bars off but if I recall they had the ‘X’ mark oil grooves in the underneath slides (just like the sliding surfaces on the top of the ram did in your pics of yours) where the oil cups are & I think some long ones between them. If I recall correctly there are shims under the bars that can be removed to compensate for wear as time goes by. Like I said, it’s been a long time, probably 18+ years since I had them off last…but they’re coming off again pretty soon & I’ll take pics to post.

I’ve got to disassemble & clean my whole shaper up again. It was in a building that burned. Singed a bit of it’s paint but doesn’t appear to have gotten any severe heat. I’m going to have to disassemble it because the ancient lime/sand mortar & soft hand-fired bricks disintegrated in the fire/water and buried it in sand, dirt, charcoal & then encased the mound in melted roofing tar.

The machine is inside, dry & safe but I don’t dare move anything mechanically until I can disassemble and clean it up. Was a sweetheart before the fire! Saved it from the scrapper 20 years ago, guy gave it to me to get it out of his yard. He used it to ‘hand-hew’ logs to rebuild a historical landmark - Fort Deschartres - in Southern Illinois. I got the setup he used for that with it. Every log building on the property restored before 2002 was built with logs this old gal ‘hand-hewed’. They chopped into the bark/wood of tge log by hand with an axe to set depth & ran them through the shaper sideways to clip off the bark chips instead of chopping them by hand to make the logs ‘square’. Couldn’t tell they weren’t completely done by hand by a master craftsman! Every woodshop oughta have a metal shaper.

Anyway, thought if you need any measurements or pics or just wanted to know you weren’t alone out there I’ll do my best to get what you need.
There’s a pic of a 20” almost exactly like mine in Cincinnati Shaper Catalog “J”. I’ll see if I can figure out how to put it on here. Wish i had some idea of when that catalog was printed. Found another pic that is identical in a machinist textbook from 1904 on Google Books but now can’t recall what book. I think I saved it but that was 15 years ago. I’ll be looking!
Hope yours has been making chips for awhile already but thought just in case…

Last edited:
Back