New early 1900's Cincinnati Shaper Project

madmodifier

Registered
Registered
Picked up a "new" shaper today. I need to make the top ways, not sure what the term is. The way bars that retain the ram. Apparently the story is they got used by a farmer for steel. Is the best idea to get a couple bars of ground flat stock? How many oil cups should they have? There are no data plates or serial numbers on the machine that I could find. Unfortunately there is a broken hand wheel that probably cannot be replaced. I have searched around the interwebs but there is not much information out there. In fact ebay has an 18" version of this machine and that is the first picture that I have been able to find of a Cincinnati with a square door.

starting shape.jpg

IMG_20171021_181447253_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171021_143733361_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171021_181513817_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171021_181545107_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171021_143826342_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171021_181447253_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Mad,
This is great!!
Seriously!!

To bad about the missing parts.
While likely different, my lil' 16" Whipp is of about the same vintage and style. If you'd like you can look at mine for ideas on fabing your parts.

Daryl
MN

Thats going to be a nice machine Ben. With the amount of information out there on the web its amazing the holes that exist. I have an 18 inch Peerless that was made in Ontario not sure when. Have searched and found a few other people that have them but no information about them. There was a company by the same name that made powered hacksaws in the states but no affiliation.
On the bars my first thought is that they should be made of cast iron. I'd be afraid steel would gall. You can get continuous cast bar stock. Durabar is one company that makes it.
Mine has an oiler between each of the hold down bolts.
Hope you post your rebuild.
Greg

On the bars my first thought is that they should be made of cast iron. I'd be afraid steel would gall. You can get continuous cast bar stock. Durabar is one company that makes it. Mine has an oiler between each of the hold down bolts.

Agreed.
Durabar is a good option.

Daryl
MN

Stupidity seems to be universal the world over, Using the guide strips from a good machine to obtain a portion of flat stock is beyond stupid, This story matches a genius I know , Who on recieving a nice lathe from me Complete with a turned plug , with the mandrel nose thread & register as well. , A lot of nice accurate work,It was designed to save time when turning backplates and screw on fixtures for special tasks (note the plug had nice knurled grip, & was marked Mandrel nose plug for boring & screwing fixtures, A lot of passed in making it) Anyway our man needed a washer so he set it up in the saw and cut it to the length he required -- Vandalism, Sacrilage, Ignorance, Arrogance ? Take your pick!

Mad,
This is great!!
Seriously!!

To bad about the missing parts.
While likely different, my lil' 16" Whipp is of about the same vintage and style. If you'd like you can look at mine for ideas on fabing your parts.

Daryl
MN
Thanks Daryl! Hopefully I will be able to take you up on that offer soon.

Stupidity seems to be universal the world over, Using the guide strips from a good machine to obtain a portion of flat stock is beyond stupid, This story matches a genius I know , Who on recieving a nice lathe from me Complete with a turned plug , with the mandrel nose thread & register as well. , A lot of nice accurate work,It was designed to save time when turning backplates and screw on fixtures for special tasks (note the plug had nice knurled grip, & was marked Mandrel nose plug for boring & screwing fixtures, A lot of passed in making it) Anyway our man needed a washer so he set it up in the saw and cut it to the length he required -- Vandalism, Sacrilage, Ignorance, Arrogance ? Take your pick!

Yikes. Things that people do to save from going to the steel yard.

Thats going to be a nice machine Ben. With the amount of information out there on the web its amazing the holes that exist. I have an 18 inch Peerless that was made in Ontario not sure when. Have searched and found a few other people that have them but no information about them. There was a company by the same name that made powered hacksaws in the states but no affiliation.
On the bars my first thought is that they should be made of cast iron. I'd be afraid steel would gall. You can get continuous cast bar stock. Durabar is one company that makes it.
Mine has an oiler between each of the hold down bolts.
Hope you post your rebuild.
Greg

Thanks for the info Greg. Good thoughts on the cast "dura" bar. I suppose then I could do a quick mill and scrape it flat. At least on the way side.

Back