New Eccentric Engineering Product

Gravers are cheaper and more versatile. Just an opinion.
Mike , I still have not tried using gravers ,got involved with easier projects once I realized it needed a whole bunch of setup like obtaining the gravers, put wooden handles on them, build a tool rest and then learn how to grind and use them , but I will have to give it a try.

Mike , I still have not tried using gravers ,got involved with easier projects once I realized it needed a whole bunch of setup like obtaining the gravers, put wooden handles on them, build a tool rest and then learn how to grind and use them , but I will have to give it a try.

I don't mean to take away from the discussion of these cool toys. I just didn't see anything in the videos that would even come close to making me hang up my gravers. While I can easily make balls and ellipses or almost any shape I can imagine, much of my use of gravers is to ease or soften an edge on a turned work piece; this takes me just a few seconds to do and I'm moving on. That edge will still look sharp to the eye but will be soft in the hand - subtle, but a sign of good workmanship when done well. Gravers will do everything those other tools can do and more so while those tools may suit others, I wanted to raise your awareness that gravers are a very cheap and versatile option.

Now back to our regular programming ...

mikey,
+ 1 Yep back to basics, Ball Turners have a definite place particularly when turning to a specific size but in the end what we have now in an engine lathe is just a glorified and much refined version of a pole and rope driven wood lathe with a tool rest. Sometimes simple is good. I for one am one of those people who sometimes gets carried away with having 'just the tool for the job' which leads to procrastination and often have to step back and tell myself to return to basics and just get the job done.
Never seen anything bad from Eccentric Engineering and tools and kits are very well thought out so reviving an old practice and getting it widespread today is a good thing.

I am seriously thinking about buying a turnado kit.
Have any of you purchased one?
How was the shipping?
Any advice?

Admittedly I'm in Australia but all my dealings with them have been positive with very good products.
I dont think you will have any problems.
Contact them with any questions as you will receive honest answers.

I'm in NZ and have dealt with Gary, very nice bloke, great products, excellent service so I do not hesitate to recommend him. His business is online and global so I doubt you will have a problem.

That is what I was hoping to hear!
I will contact him and get a shipping price (that might put it out of my budget)

Thanks!

Back