New Ellis 9400 Drill Press received.

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I upgraded my drill press this past week. I ordered an Ellis 9400 drill press Monday from Elite Metal Tools and it arrived via Fedex Freight on Friday. This was another great job of customer service by Elite Metal Tools to get it to me so fast. The Ellis is anything but cheap but the pricing that Elite gives you is some of the best around and their customer service and communication is excellent.

I recently bought an Ellis band saw and was impressed with it. So that moved me off of top dead center to go ahead and get the drill press. I had been studying the Ellis for a while now and I am glad that I pulled the trigger. I spoke with Ellis factory reps on three different occasions with lots of questions to be sure that I understood what I would get.

It was crated up very well by Ellis Mfg. and Fedex treated it quickly but also kindly. I stripped the top of the crate off while it was in the trailer and then got it off. This thing is heavy. Ellis says 675# net (confirmed in one of my calls to them). I bought the press, their six inch vise and the ball bearing chuck they offer.

As usual, I gave the HF hoist a workout. This thing deflected the arm quite a bit! My son and I managed to snake it into the shop from the garage. This wasn't our first rodeo on that challenge. I tried to figure a way to stand it up with the hoist but only manage to get it off the pallet skid and partially rotated up. We finally gave up and stood it up by hand. I could barely handle my part. Glad my son is young and strong!

I gave it a customary bath in mineral spirits and WD40 to remove the oil and then moved it to its location.

Skated it to its home in the corner of the shop devoted to machining. More to come in the next post here.
IMG_20170331_135906.jpg

IMG_20170331_151149.jpg

IMG_20170331_164027.jpg

IMG_20170331_201641.jpg

IMG_20170401_212234.jpg

IMG_20170401_220149.jpg

IMG_20170401_220128.jpg

The foot on the press is machined very flat and it sits on the floor with no wobble. Overall the castings are good, and the machining is acceptable.

I bought the press with a couple of options. First, the six inch vise that Ellis sells. I also bought the 19mm (3/4") ball bearing chuck they sell. I am glad that I got both. The vise could have been gotten through other vendors and there's a separate thread here on that topic that I started. I just bit the bullet and bought the Ellis vise. Time will tell on that decision. The chuck is fine. I checked the runout on it. I checked it with a drill bit and a transfer punch. I didn't have a ground test bar. But the two tests I did landed at somewhere less than .003 and likely in the .0025" area which I was surprised and happy with..

More importantly, I also checked the runout on the spindle bore. It is .00025" which I am also quite happy with.

While I was at it, I even checked the spindle to table squareness on a 11" diameter sweep and it was .004" delta right to left and .006" higher on the front and level on the back. I think these are surprising okay, it is a drill press after all!

The press is self feeding down if desired and variable speed via a combination of VFD drive and an unusual 1/2 reeves drive. Spindle rpms can be adjusted from 46 to 1265 rpms quite easily using the VFD and a lever which adjusts a variable pulley. This lever has 3 stops and gives you what they refer to as torque ranges, really just three spots in the adjustable pulley range. The VFD is a Mitsubishi D700 and is fed by 120Vac which then drives the 2 hp 3 phase motor. Frequency range on the VFD is up to 120 hz and it appears that Ellis is comfortable with running it at 10 hz. That would be about 1/6 of the motor nameplate speed. I also did some testing with a handheld digital tach and built myself a speed chart and it attached here for fun. I am likely going to add a tach to this monster so I don't have to refer to a chart.

So the measurements I did are encouraging. The build quality is good and the beast is heavy enough it is not going to deflect and/or walk around the shop on me when I decide to drill a one inch hole in some steel. The table lift is substantial and smooth. It has two clamp locks on it and they are easy enough to engage and not drudgery like the other drill press that is also in my shop. The column on this machine is impressive. It appears that it is one piece including the flange that attaches to the massive base. The machining on the column appears to have had very good attention paid to it.

So not bad for a big beast of a drill press.

IMG_20170401_220106.jpg

IMG_20170402_095806.jpg

IMG_20170402_095357.jpg

Run out .00025.jpg

IMG_20170402_135513.jpg

IMG_20170402_144242.jpg

IMG_20170402_110935.jpg

IMG_20170402_111025.jpg

speed chart.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice machine, and you get that new machine smell as well. Cheers, Mike

You are really putting together a "dream shop" with all of the nice top shelf equipment.

So what's next?

What's next? Tooling and more tooling.

Gorgeous machine, Alan - congrats!

Two things to consider - get yourself a good drill chuck and look into rotary broaches.

Enjoy it. I sure like mine. They are awesome machines.

Randy

Thanks Randy, in mid-February in a thread here on the topic your recommendation to me was to get one.

Here's the thread. I should have moved faster!

would love to see some things you create with your new tools! Please post.

Back