New Enco 105-1110 Rf-30 Owner

Thanks for all the insight guys, much appreciated. I've had some other projects pop up so I haven't spent any time online. I still have to find a switch & get the DRO's mounted but I'm looking forward to making some chips!

I hope you enjoy the machine. I have used a RF31 for about 12 years now and it has worked very well for me.....I only have a small garage shop and room is at a premium, so I had to stay small sized on the mill/drill.

rf31full_zpsotpoh5os.jpg

rf31full_zpsotpoh5os.jpg

rf31full_zpsotpoh5os.jpg

rf31full_zpsotpoh5os.jpg

rf31full_zpsotpoh5os.jpg

rf31full_zpsotpoh5os.jpg

Sheesh, now I'm at a cross roads, I've had an offer on my Enco that's pretty hard to refuse. If I were to sell it I'd only have about a $1500 budget to replace it. Since I don't have room for a full size mill that leaves me in Grizzly 704 territory & I'm not sure if that's a real upgrade except for not having to deal with the round column mill loosing it's position when raising the head but the smaller footprint of a 704 type of mill would definitely be appreciated.

From my perspective, the dealing with loss of registration on head movement is not really an issue. I plan out my work location and set things up so I don't have to move the head up or down during the process. This also includes using such things as an ER collett "extension" so I can use short tools such as a center drill as well as the longer drills etc that I put in colletts. And while some people think having a lighter machine is better, weight is your friend and translates into rigidity. No the RF31 is not particularly rigid, but I am sure it beats the heck out of a 0704 type of machine.
Just my .02 worth (and that ain't much after inflation:})

The smaller machines like the 704 would probably be more than I ever need for the work I plan on doing but I still have this nagging feeling that it wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify the expense so I am at a loss as to whether I accept the offer or not.

Back