New Enco 12 x36

Falcon67

Active User
Registered
I blame this loss of savings mostly on Enco. Two 30% off offers in a row is just more than a guy can handle when he's pining for some new tool. So a new Enco 12 x 36 Model 411-0105 bench lathe is my big investment for the year. Looked and looked at used and others. Oil boom has sucked up most decent machines and what does show up is somewhat over priced or just ratted out. Not a lot of manufacturing/job shop stuff in west Texas anyway. Helping to push me into it was a discussion over on the 12x36 Yahoo group. There is a post from someone that just bought this same machine in July. He said it came equipped much like the Griz 4003 including a piston type tool post. Didn't match the catalog, looked better out of the box so to speak. And it turned out to be just so, so far.
I'll try to blog/detail my experience with this thing and maybe that will help someone down the road with a purchase.
------
The trucking company kinda forgot to call, so when I called Enco to get a delivery update it turned out it was sitting on the doc at the local Southeastern Freight terminal. I took a long lunch from work to run home and get the truck and flat bed trailer, then go pick it up.
The end by the lift is for sure the heavy end. Gross weight per box is 530 kg/1166 lbs.

12x36_001.jpg

Secured for the trip to the shop.
12x36_002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Copy of the Enco catalog page at time of purchase. Their site is really weird. A search on "lathe" or clicking through to the Machinery, Lathes, Lathes-Bench, Brand Enco does not show the purchased part number. It's in the catalog and can be located on a different web page with google - http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/96912-bench ... -0105.html As you'll see below, the real deal differes from the picture a bit.

EncoCatalogPg411-01015.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Snatching it off the trailer was a bit of a trick. It took a couple of tries to find a decent balance point.

12x36_004.jpg

With the wife's guiding hand, it rests on the hoist.
12x36_005.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After a bit of finagling, I got it off the hoist on to the floor. Nothing like the picture, is it? It does match the description posted on the Yahoo 12x36 group by a recent purchaser. The splash guard is behind the machine and the chip pan is propped on the mower. The QCTP is a Series 200 and it came with a -201 and -202 tool holder. Tool box, cool red oil can, big 4 jaw chuck and the usual misc. The work light has what looks like a regular bulb in it, so I may hack that to LED. Nice to have for any reason. Not sure what I was expecting, but having spent years with a 9x20 this thing is HUGE. The overall condition of the machine is good and a bit greasy/dirty. Going to use a lot of WD-40 cleaning on this guy.

It'll be a little while before it's running. I'll start on the stand now that I have the chip pan to use for a pattern. I plan to run 12-3 to the machine for both 240 and 120 service on the stand. I sourced some Cooper Wiring twist lock 20 amp plugs from Amazon, way cheaper than HD or Lowes. 50' of 12-3 is around $60.

12x36_006.jpg

12x36_007.jpg

Gearbox Face plate. End cover on the left is cast fiberglass.
12x36_008.jpg

Aerial view
12x36_009.jpg

Carriage
12x36_010.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got the thing off the skid and on wheels. That's not a balance point, but it was enough to let me lift the tail end and slide the skid out from under. The lathe is now parked off to the side - I still have to get a sick race car in here this weekend for some tuning so I'm trying to clear a space. The home made roller under the headstock uses some casters that I got off a scrapped IT server bench rated at around 1000 lbs. I usually have a transmission or engine block on it.

Sizing up the eventual parking space.

The tool box contained with this cool bright red oil can. I took a picture and showed it to a lady I work with that is from Malaysia. She read the company name and said "Those are the same people that sell rice wine." Diversified economy, indeed.

12x36_oil_can.jpg

Stand build is next, will be on that in a few days. Depends on time available for shop work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, glad to see you over here and feel you will be a valuable contributor the forum. There are some great people here and a lot of experience to be shared.

Welcome.:drink:

Mike.

You're sure correct about it looking nothing like the pictures. Glad to see you were able to get it picked up. Looking forward to what you think after getting up on stands and making chips!

I didn't notice before Chris, but the one pictured in the Enco add has the Norton style QCGB and the one you have sitting on your shop floor has a sealed gearbox for the feed/speed. What kind of change gears are required for threading either Imperial or Metric threads, if any?

Mike.

:greenwithenvy:
wow she sure is pretty!!!!
i like the removeable bed gap, and D1-4 are nice features!!!

i haven't owned a brand new lathe, the ones i get are bought new by the original owner and not used for 20+ years, then i buy them at a discount and put em' back to work.

You will get lots of use and enjoyment out of that lathe!!!
thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'm sure I'll tap the collective for help in the very near future.

I'm not very knowledgeable about threading, but it appears that a set of metric change gears came in the tool box.

>i haven't owned a brand new lathe, the ones i get are bought new by the original owner and not used for 20+ years, then i buy them at a discount and put em' back to work.
Gave up on that around here, nothing turns up except cheap 20xreally long oil field type things. But I think that I will chase a decent used BP when we get the race trailer paid off. A new Turn Pro is around 6K, so I figure I can find a decent one for $2~3K and fix any issues, replace spindle bearings, etc. Would like to be able to do some valve seat type work eventually.

The stand - LOL. I have some metal saved from the stand I made for the G0519. So after inventory, I have enough 2x2 14 ga for the top (20"x59.25" box), enough 2x2 8 ga for two legs and a cross piece for the top, enough 2x2 11 ga for two more legs and two more cross pieces , along with 24' of 1x2 14 ga found in an alley. The ruff plan is a 30" tall stand with levelers on the 4 corners and some casters on 1 1/2 tube that would slip in the bottom of the legs for moving the assembly when needed. The levelers are a little light weight but should work. They are labeled "2000lb" (from Amazon) but are made of 14 ga sheet metal LOL. I'll give them 350. I could go get another 24' joint of 11 ga, but I'm weaseling for a 3 drawer box to integrate into the stand.

http://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-lifting-leveler

The one pictured in their catalog is closer to a Grizzly G4003 & the one you have is closer to Grizzly G0750G or the PM1236, minus various features of course. Perhaps the CM no longer makes that older version. I wouldn't worry, think of it as an upgrade as long as the specs meet what is advertised.

The gearbox is pretty much like my PM1236. I like the knobs better anyway, I find them easier to use then the levers or whatever they are called.

My PM1236 came with the same halogen light. I used to be heavy into custom flashlights so I'm an LED guy, I changed my lamp out for a different one but I still choose to go with halogen. I went with 50W instead of the 25W of the original. I could have built a custom LED array for mine & went with a neutral or warm tint but I still prefer the halogen for working on the lathe with florescents overhead. I can see detail & colors much more better. As your eyes get older cool tints tend to wash away colors but I'm not even old yet. LEDs have came a long way though & keep getting better.

Congrats on the new lathe!

Thanks. I have not looked at the light that close, but it appears to be some basic automotive type bulb and not halogen. I'm thinking LED anyway and I will have a 4' shop light over the unit. I can't see without a couple of 6500K bulbs close by!

it appears to be some basic automotive type bulb and not halogen.

There's 2 versions of that light, halogen & fluorescent. I never seen the fluorescent one come stock on a lathe though & the difference is clear. Automotive bulbs (HLs) are halogen. It's a 24v bi pin halogen (On the Grizzly & PM, not to be confused with incandescent) so if you happen to touch the bulb with your finger & want to use it again be sure to clean with alcohol before turning it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Close inspection reveals you are correct. Looks halogen. I'll be swapping that for something that doesn't throw light with heat like a torch.

Back