New Enco owner with a few quistions

DJack

Registered
Registered
Hi I was hoping to find a good South Bend but prices were too high. I ended up with an Enco 13x40 built in July of 1995. It seems to be in real good shape, I can still see scrape marks on the ways and a 4 inch cut in 1 inch 1018 with center in place shows .0002 taper. My questions are, does anyone know how much oil the headstock holds, and what kind of lube should I be using on the external gears, like the change gears and threading gears.
Thanks
Dave

With any luck, I'll be picking up my "new to me" Enco 13 x 40 next week. It is a 2000 model, and sounds similar to yours with exceptionally minimal hours on it. Hopefully I'll get a manual with it, because changing headstock oil will be on my to-do list as well. Maybe we can compare notes.

Cheers,

GG

I was told to use automatic transmission oil in the case on my 13X40. What I have done is use hydraulic/transmission oil for farm tractors. Seems to be working alright.

Have a good day

Ray

In the absence of specific information from Enco, you can look at the manuals of similar machinery sold by others.... which in some cases might come from the same manufacturer.

I run Mobile DTE Light in my headstock, and Mobile Vactra 2 everywhere else. in my Grizzly G0709 14x40. That is very common among many machines. I would be surprised if Enco recommended anything different.

Wait for a 20% off + free shipping sale, and buy it from Enco; they have the best prices for it. The DTE light comes in a 5 gallon pail. Your headstock probably uses about a gallon. So that gives you a 5 year supply, assuming you follow recommendations to drain and refill once a year (which depends largely on how much you use the thing).

I couldn't find any DTE Light anywhere near me so I used the same stuff I use in my tractor. What I took out looked like about a 40-50 wt motor oil. It did take about a gallon FWIW. I used traveler universal tractor fluid, its a 10-20wt hyd fluid. I figure the gears in my tractor take a lot more stress than the lathe so it should be ok. If I find DTE light local I'll get some but for now it gets what I have.

I did some research online, and found a cross reference chart for lubricants. Mobil DTE Light crosses over to ISO32 hydraulic oil, which is a 10 weight hydraulic oil. They have it at Farm & Fleet in a 2 1/2 gallon jug for $18. Strangely enough, the Grizzly G4016 manual (virtually the same machine as the Enco 110-1340) lists ISO64 for the gear box, which is a 20 weight hydraulic oil. Farm & Fleet had that too.

Back