New Forum for 3 in 1 machines

Here is my 3 in 1 Sumore SP2304. I found Sumore in Shanghai is the mfg of a lot of the lathes etc sold under other names like HF. I was able to talk them into importing just one to me directly. PITA! The gov/CBP does not make this easy...

SP2304.jpg

Added very inexpensive DRO's ...just can't get my head around metric
1 both axis dro.jpg

The headstock raise/lower handle was designed by an idiot
I replaced it with a pwm controlled motor drive .. actually works well
enough to use as a down feed.
2 headrive.jpg

Added an auto disengage and auto shutoff on the feed
3 feedstop.jpg

And there was NO fine feed on the mill spindle at all ! It was
just a glorified drill press handle. The solution (After I learned how to cut gears :>)
was suprisingly simple and works perfectly.
fine feed.jpg

I've been using it for about four years now, and have no complaints..
held up well. to my surprise!!

SP2304.jpg 1 both axis dro.jpg 2 headrive.jpg 3 feedstop.jpg fine feed.jpg

Re: Me and My Shoptask Patriot - Was: New Forum for 3 in 1 machines

Hi everyone! I have been posting on this forum for a few months. Looks like I missed this one being announced! Nice surprise.... I have the ShopMaster Patriot 2010 model. It's a hobby machine and I've become fully enamored with it! It's beefy(ish) and weighs 1260 LBs. That's just the 3:1 itself. I have Mach3 and CNC w/ DRO installed. Came w/ some extra's (they were in 2010) 4th axix, DRO, ball screws (nook std. accuracy) which are about OK for a mill like this.

Anyone w/ Q's please feel free to ask away. Anyone have some Pics? Here is mine.
View attachment 79887

View attachment 79887
I just ordered my shopmaster Patriot w/4th axis. How do you find working with the Mach III software? Have you done any threading with it?

Countryguy,
I just ordered my Shopmaster Patriot 2015 version. Totally new to machining and decided this to be my first machine. I did opt for the 4th axis as I plan to make some gun stock programs for cutting rifle and shotgun stocks. How do you like the Mach III software? Have you done any threading with this machine?

I purchased a used Shoptask 1720 XMTC about six months ago. I think I got a pretty fair deal being it came with some basic tooling. I really have no room for individual machines so I thought to give this a try. Lathe seems ok mill takes planning but there are no production expectations here. Now if I can just remember all the knowledge my school shop teacher tried to fit in my head 30 years ago.

I sold my 1720 XMTC and they are a decent machine! I turned around and bought a Grizzly 17x20 and was a "BIG" mistake. The old ShopTask XMTC were a better made machine than they put out now.

I have a older Chinese model combination machine I've been using for a couple of years. I'm mainly building custom bike parts. The machine is a bit tired but I have produced some parts I am very pleased with. The machine is a bit under powered with 3/4 horse motors on both lathe and mill, but you get what you pay for and I have been very happy with it. My biggest complaint is height issues on the milling table. You end up wasting a lot of time on set up as you can not adjust table hight up or down. I've just upgraded my lathe to a 12x36 Craftex. I will start saving my bucks for a milling machine upgrade at which time I will sell my combo machine and get someone else hooked on machining. Lol

If you like the lathe portion, you could remove the top mill portion and buy a mill. Just store the mill and give yourself some head room. Here's a pic of what I had done but the mill was still attached when I took the pic.

S6002626.jpg

S6002626.jpg

S6002626.jpg

S6002626.jpg

S6002626.jpg

S6002626.jpg

Last edited:
As I said in my last post I have upgraded to a 12x36 lathe. The combo machine is a bit underpowered. It's been good to me, but I feel it's time to upgrade to move to the next level in terms of quality and productivity.

image.jpeg
I posted this on another 3 in 1 forum and then saw this forum was more appropriate.

I use a Smithy Granite Elite I-Max 1340 3 in 1 in my fabricating shop and think the 3 in 1 is way under-rated and too often laughed off as a toy. These are very capable machines as long as it is realized they are not a 2 ton Bridgeport or large South Bend lathe. The first thing I did when I got mine was take several days to set it up level and then clean, de-burr, lubricate, tram, scrape and tighten everything. Out of the box they are not the most precise equipment that exists for sure, but a little time and work and I have found it to be as good or better then separate machines. I added a 3-axis DRO, a coolant system and am in the planning phase of conversion to ballscrews on X and Y axis. Once the ballscrews are installed and working right I have a full CNC 3 axis system that is going to be installed.

To a lot of people it may seem crazy to put this much time, effort and money into a 3 in 1, but space considerations do not allow separates. The capacity is 13 x 40 which as of yet has not been too small for any fab job. Not going to line bore a V8, but that is not the type of work I do. Part of the reason for doing all this is just because I can and I like to do it, but also when I get done, like most other projects, I have exactly what I want and need for my application and needs. To get the same capabilities would require 3-4 times the money and considerable shop real estate that I don't have.

I could not agree more with another poster who said that a lathe is a lathe and don't think that any idea for a lathe cannot be adapted or used on a 3 in 1. I have seen some very incredible work done on these machines and like any other machine tool once you get used to the way the machine operates it is just as good or better than any of the Myfords, Craftsman, South Bends, or other smaller lathes that I see people own. I have been able to hold 2/10's on some precision work as long as I take my time and go slow and easy.

Hello everyone. I am a retired mechanical engineer that is finally getting to do some actual machining myself. About a year ago I purchased a Craftsman 12 inch lathe built about 1951 (slightly older than me). I refurbished it to the best of my ability and have done a few small jobs on it. Every time I use it my respect for real machinists increases a LOT. My question now is about purchasing a 3:1 machine. I am a mentor for the local high school robotics team and have helped them get a working shop together for the past 4 years. Shop space is limited. We have a variety of general purpose stuff (band saws, etc) but are considering upping our game to be able to machine some items in house. The robots are not large and are limited to an overall base perimeter of 120" max and 120 pounds total weight. Funds are not provided by the school district and must be raised by the robotics team independently, consequently money is tight and precious. The majority of machine use will be during the "build season" which runs from early January through mid February, with occasional use after that. I would love to get some recommendations for a decent 3:1 machine that would cost under about $2000 including some tooling. Thanks for your help in advance.

Back