New Forum for 3 in 1 machines

Hi Domperna52, I bought my Smithy CB 1220 XL used off craigslist for $1100. It came with a lot of tooling and even some brass, steel and aluminum raw materials. So keep your eye out for that kind of a deal. I haven't been in the market for a 3 in 1 for a long time so I don't have much advice for a new one. Smithy.com of course, I've been able to get parts and advice for mine. Boltontool.com grizzly.com maybe Harbor Freight mini lathe and mini mill.
Thank you, thank you for working with the High School Robotics team! The elimination of industrial arts from junior high and high school is something that I hope doesn't come back to bite America you know where.
Best of luck in your search
Dave

Thanks for the note. I've started checking out various machines on line at the web sites you listed, and will make a comparison list of the features to help with the purchase decision. I do believe that the lack of industrial arts in junior and high schools will bite us down the road. I don't know where else future engineers/scientists will get any practical hands on experience to balance their academic education. I find it sad.

Agree with Dwight. We have the same machine as you, also with a 3 axis DRO. So far, I have not ran into a project I could not complete with the Smithy. I learned to machine on a Bridgeport and South Bend, and used the same machines for years at my company. Was laid off, and the new outfit just can't justify the cost of the larger machines. They bought a Smithy a few years back and I have been very pleased and impressed with the quality of work this thing can do. It's a great machine, and would not hesitate to buy one for my own home some day.

Last edited:
Hey guys - another 3-in1 owner here too - I JUST got the Smithy Granite 1340 Max - I had an Enco 3-in-1 and it was good enough for me except for a few things (like no power feed when milling and changing thread gears) and so far I'm loving the Smithy

I have always liked the concept of the 3-in-1. It makes perfect sense for a few situations, most particularly those who want more than a drill press, but less than a fully complemented machine shop (occasional lathe and milling tasks, but infrequent enough that the changeover isn't a real issue), and those who simply do not have room for separate machines. I thought that was where I was headed for my small shop, but then my brother offered me his lathe (our father's old lathe) on indefinite loan. So now I have a decent lathe and no mill. I don't agree with the argument that I'm any better off than if I had a 3-in-1 (other than the tremendous cost savings in my specific example). I'm frankly frequently frustrated when I need to do a simple milling operation, like making new quick change tool holders for the lathe, and I have no capacity to do so without adding a collet chuck, collets, and any of several makeshift (or very expensive used) milling attachments. I don't mean to complain (I am TRULY grateful), just expressing that the 3-in-1 doesn't get the respect it deserves. They do far more than my solo lathe, and in no more space in the shop.

this was my second lathe and im happy with it, sure i would like bigger and better but it does everything i ask, the mill head is average.. i actually brought it to preform surgery on my 1950's Harrison l5 lathe.
just a few pics i had uploaded to photobucket of little things ive made with it...

pretty poor pictures camera must have been dirty

have made loads of bronze bushs, bronze nuts, various tools, spacers, cut threads ect does all pretty well.

Ritchie
I assume you have seen this manual for your unit here:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/44000-44999/44142.pdf
See pages 12 & 13 for thread cutting, gear selection etc.
Looks to me that if you have an "inch" leadscrew, you can cut "inch" threads and if you have a "metric" leadscrew you can cut "metric" threads.
Dave
Most lathes use a 120 x 127 compound gear to convert imperial to metric and or the other way around, some small machines use 63x60 but it's not quite as accurate. the 127 divided by 2 equals 254. 25.4 mm =1". that is the connection.

Last edited:
Well I have tracking this forum for a week or two to see what people are saying about the 3 in 1s. I am ready to purchase either the Smithy Granite IMax 1340 or separate machines. I have a small room but two machines can fit, like the PM 1236 lathe and PM 932 Mill, however, in my case it is a question of how often will I use them since I am a hobby woodworker. I am strongly leaning towards the 3 in 1 due to the fact I do not really want to get into metal work even though I started my career as a machinist. I just want to do metal type of work on occasion when I or one of my friends need something. Last year I purchased a Torch 770 CNC mill and kept it for six months before selling it and losing several thousands of dollars because I did not want to really do extensive metal work. So my dilemma is now what do I do? I have operated several different types of machines both manual and CNC, I see nothing wrong with 3 in 1 machines unless you are really going to go all in to start a business, and still they are very capable.

Just my two cents. I need to make a decision on which way to go.

Well I have tracking this forum for a week or two to see what people are saying about the 3 in 1s. I am ready to purchase either the Smithy Granite IMax 1340 or separate machines. I have a small room but two machines can fit, like the PM 1236 lathe and PM 932 Mill, however, in my case it is a question of how often will I use them since I am a hobby woodworker. I am strongly leaning towards the 3 in 1 due to the fact I do not really want to get into metal work even though I started my career as a machinist. I just want to do metal type of work on occasion when I or one of my friends need something. Last year I purchased a Torch 770 CNC mill and kept it for six months before selling it and losing several thousands of dollars because I did not want to really do extensive metal work. So my dilemma is now what do I do? I have operated several different types of machines both manual and CNC, I see nothing wrong with 3 in 1 machines unless you are really going to go all in to start a business, and still they are very capable.

Just my two cents. I need to make a decision on which way to go.

A dilemma, yes. The answer is entirely up to you. Think of it as a series of questions and answers.
Do you have room for two good size machines.
Can you afford them.
will the smaller 3 in 1 be able to do everything you are likely want to do.
Would you use them more if you had the two bigger machines.
Remember most people often wish they had a bigger machine, I know I do, but I just don't have the room

Well I agree with Bobshobby. But I can make just about anything on my 3 in 1 that I put my mind to... If I had more time, space and money I would definitely buy a mill and a lathe but I think I would keep the 3 in 1 !
Dave

Back