New Forum for 3 in 1 machines

My only experience with a 3 way, it was actually 4 way, machine was back in the 1985-95 I was working as an engineer on board a large crude oil tanker and we had a 4 way machine in the engine room workshop.

It was a good size, I don't recall the exact dimensions, but the lathe was about 14" swing x 30"- 36" bed It was good quality, would have suited a toolroom any day.

The milling machine was not mounted above the lathe bed as most of the smaller hobby machines are, but was mounted at the extreme outboard end of the headstock. It was both a vertical and horizontal spindle with a good size table about 36" long and 12" wide.

The knee action table could be wound right down and expose a shaper head coming out from underneath the headstock. The shaper used the milling table, so it was all very robust, The only downside was that it only had one motor and main gearbox so we could really only use one function at a time.

We did do some pretty good work on it over the years. I don't recall the makers brand, but quite possibly Mitsubishi, as the ship, and just about everything in it was built by Mitsubishi.

I have an enco 3n1 machine . I've had it since 2000 . it was my first machine tool . i have used it a lot but not much in the past few years ....also have a lot of tooling for it and the riser block....i cant say anything about the milling part of the machine as i have never used it ......about a year after buying it i bought a used enco rf mill/drill and used that as my primary mill......i had also bought a atlas 12" com bench lathe ......when i opened my shop away from my house i just got machines for there and let what i had in my garage at home........ I bought my 3n1 brand new from enco ........with having 3 atlas lathes an enco rf mill/drill and an enco 9x42 bp clone i would still keep the 3n1 if that tells you anything ....lol.....Eric

I have an old HT800 i bought 20+ years ago i am trying to keep going (have another thread about powering on). its like the Bolton BT800 or older Grizzly. Anyway i stumbled upon this forum, and while i see it is very old and not active, I wanted to chime in. My milling head is mounted to the left, above the lathe spindle, and i cannot lower it. i have tried a number of ways to mill effectively, I've made a long R8 end mill holder for 3/8 end mills (works pretty well), but lately i am using granite surface blocks to raise my milling vise high enough so i don't have to extend my quill so far down. I do hope one day to buy separate machines but my 3 in 1 has served me well. A nice feature that i don't see talked about often is i have power feed on both the X and Y since i have a separate lathe motor. I can power feed either axis, either direction by running my lathe in forward or reverse while milling.

I've done a few basic projects such as cutting front cocking serrations on a 1911 style 45, made a drive shaft to install a John Deere Engine on a Husqvarna mower with the electric clutch (fun as it required lathe and mill operations), handle bar risers for my motorcycle, larger volume knob for the same bike. handlebar end caps, windshield mounting bushings for my motorcycle (original ones got old and broke).
Future projects i hope to complete: A reversing gear for my lathe leadscrew so i can cut away from the chuck while running the late in forward (also will allow cutting left handed threads), a possible DC motor conversion on the lathe to get better speed control. i want to cut an AR lower out of a block of aluminum (without a CNC), new highway pegs for my motorcycle, a 308 conversion from and 8mm Mauser...

anyway i look forward to hearing from other 3 in 1 users

driveslayer45 if you go to bolton tools or smithy web sites they sell a riser block for 3n1 machines ........10 years ago i got mine for around 100 shipped ....i think they have went up since then.........i think the smithy one is 200 but its a little bigger than mine ...........i think bolton tools is the cheapest ..but i havent checked on it lately.........busy bee tools also has them but i think they are pricey there too.........before i got the riser block i had gotten a 4x4 x1/2 wall square tubing section that i was gonna use for a riser....you might look into that ............eric...........

This forum is very quiet.
I picked up a Smithy 3-1 for short money but its a mess of loose , miss aligned , issues.
Been slowly working through it.
If someone had a Smithy CB1220 XL Do you know what the unit came with for gears installed?

1. Anyone know what gear goes directly below the main drive gear
A7111BBF-A5DB-4F50-B380-4E6F20F65BBE.jpeg
2. does anyone know how the gears came from the factory

3. What gear goes in E ?

Hello! I have the same machine. Unfortunately, I don't understand your question. The link Mickri supplied above is a good one. The Midas 1220xl is pretty much the same as ours.
As it states in the photo you attached, the top two main gears are permanently attached. The other four gears you choose to change the speed of the lead screw for the thread pitch you want. The "E" gear is ONLY used to reverse the direction of the lead screw, as an idler it does matter how many teeth it has. When you want to reverse the lead screw just pick any small gear for E that will fit in the train between C and D gears. I have attached a photo of the decal inside the housing of mine and a picture of my present set up, which if memory serves me is 1mm thread pitch.

In the future you might want to start a new thread, this is kind of buried. Good Luck and have fun with it! Dave

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

Hello! I have the same machine. Unfortunately, I don't understand your question. The link Mickri supplied above is a good one. The Midas 1220xl is pretty much the same as ours.
As it states in the photo you attached, the top two main gears are permanently attached. The other four gears you choose to change the speed of the lead screw for the thread pitch you want. The "E" gear is ONLY used to reverse the direction of the lead screw, as an idler it does matter how many teeth it has. When you want to reverse the lead screw just pick any small gear for E that will fit in the train between C and D gears. I have attached a photo of the decal inside the housing of mine and a picture of my present set up, which if memory serves me is 1mm thread pitch.

In the future you might want to start a new thread, this is kind of buried. Good Luck and have fun with it! Dave

View attachment 423885

View attachment 423886
Thank you
Can you tell me what gear is on the lower main gear location.
I pulled it off to clean it and in my rush and frustration lost track of which on was there?
I eventually figured out that the 27 gear tooth was in E from the factory from a message Smithy left on my phone.

Smithy sent me some PDFs to help me out
Still would like to know what gear goes on the lower main drive. I have one on that seems to fit but like to know

Attachments

• LTD and the E gear.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 1200 series gear installation 20150527.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Back