New G4003G lathe

That's a really nice bench mod....

Ray

Thanks guys for the help. That makes since with the square wrench, guess I will not need it for now.

Added a shelf to the lathe
IMG_20130524_102037_856_zps1ef4e840.jpg

And a set of drawers, seen here without the drawers installed. The rack and drawes are made by DurhamInside of one of the drawers

I was wondering about the female square wrench myself as there is nothing on my G4003G that it fits. I guessed it must be for lathe dogs as they have square heads. I couldn't verify this as my machine came with a faceplate but no dogs. I ran a magnet around in my headstock before I put the first oil in and there were few chips. The only flaw I found in my machine is that one of the D1-5 camlocks didn't lock in all the way with the 3 jaw but I just had to turn one of the studs in another two turns. Nice shelf, Alan.

ortho.....How about that....I grew up in Ridgecrest. Moved there in 1954 and Left in 1970. Things have really changed down there since then....

Guys I have a question.
How do you make a small bore with a flat blind bottom. I learned real quick about relief angles. I don't know if I need to grind a tool with a bunch of relief??

I made a tool called a pivot nose adapter for a rivet gun. The OD is .780" the threads are 7/16-20, and the bore is .5"x .120" deep.
The tool is supposed to set a blind rivet and allow it to act like a hinge or pivot. A local engineer friend asked me to make it for a project at their plant. I said i would try.

What is a good way of making a small bore with a flat bottom. I gave in and put a 1/2" end mill in my tail stock and cut it that way. The tail is not really rigid enough to support the end mill and I got a lot of chatter.

Here is the tool.

001_zpsf6a4ecfa.jpg

Here you can see the bore in question.
002_zpsadf33082.jpg

Guys I have a question.
How do you make a small bore with a flat blind bottom. I learned real quick about relief angles. I don't know if I need to grind a tool with a bunch of relief??

I made a tool called a pivot nose adapter for a rivet gun. The OD is .780" the threads are 7/16-20, and the bore is .5"x .120" deep.
The tool is supposed to set a blind rivet and allow it to act like a hinge or pivot. A local engineer friend asked me to make it for a project at their plant. I said i would try.

What is a good way of making a small bore with a flat bottom. I gave in and put a 1/2" end mill in my tail stock and cut it that way. The tail is not really rigid enough to support the end mill and I got a lot of chatter.

Here is the tool.

001_zpsf6a4ecfa.jpg

Here you can see the bore in question.
002_zpsadf33082.jpg
I recently made some steel leveling feet and needed a flat bottomed 1/2 in hole. I drilled it with a 60 deg drill until the point reached the proper depth and then squared the corners with an end mill in the TS using the top edge of the drilled hole as a pilot. I didn't measure the final diameter of the holes as it wasn't critical but the end mill went in smooth making four long steel ribbons.

I was wondering about the female square wrench myself as there is nothing on my G4003G that it fits. I guessed it must be for lathe dogs as they have square heads. I couldn't verify this as my machine came with a faceplate but no dogs. (SNIP)
epanzella, my G4003G didn't come with a female square wrench; I think that wrench had been originally provided for the saddle lock bolt which is now replaced with a socket head type bolt. My two cents' worth. ---ortho

epanzella, my G4003G didn't come with a female square wrench; I think that wrench had been originally provided for the saddle lock bolt which is now replaced with a socket head type bolt. My two cents' worth. ---ortho
Makes sense, I seem to remember seeing a picture of a G4003G with a square head saddle lock bolt. Mine has the socket head.

Congrads on the new G4003G! I received mine 2 weeks ago. I have not had any issues with it and operation has been flawless. I changed the gearbox oil after 2 hour runin and had no issues with metal particles of any size. I did add 1/2 bottle of Power Punch Moly gear additive to the oil change. It really quited down the gear whine, running very smooth. I do like the magnet idean in the transmission although I would be weary of a very small magnet that could be picked up with cold fluid. A larger magnet would not be easily moved about.
I see some of you have made brackets to level the lathe, good show! I would suggest you bolt it to the floor for a more stable platform. Enjoy the new machine. I really am happy with mine after using a Logan 10X24 the the last 8 years. Hope to build some hunting rifles with the new unit.

I have the Grizzly G4003g machine, I have had it a little over a year, after break in I did install a large magnet in the rear RH corner of the gearbox. I used the HF welding magnet approx 3" or so (With the brass grounding stud removed) have had no problems with it! I installed a hour meter on the control box and I now have 264 hours on the machine. I did my break in oil change, and I think this weekend I will do my first normal oil change, I have been using the AW68 Turbine Hydraulic Oil in it, I too think I may add some power punch to it this time.

Just My 2 cents! Bob in Oregon

(SNIP) I did add 1/2 bottle of Power Punch Moly gear additive to the oil change. It really quited down the gear whine, running very smooth. (SNIP)QUOTE] Really quieted down the gear whine? I'll have to try that next time I change oil. Every time I run my G4003G at high rpm, it makes that loud whine. :p Thanks. ---ortho

Where does one get this "Power Punch Moly" gear additive?

Back