New G4003G Owner, have questions......

About electrical schematics: They CAN be totally BOGUS!!!! I had a mill drill probably made in Taiwan even,because I got it about 1980. The electrician wanted to run it on 220 for better performance(I hadn't noticed less performance on the 110 I'd been using for over 2 years),but I'm no electrician,so said o.k.. He went by the schematic and couldn't get the thing to work. There were 6 wires. He kept changing wiring,flicking the switch on and off to see if it was working. Half the time the mill ran backwards. Finally,he gave up. Somehow,in a moment of I still don't know what,I said to wire it thus and so,because it was the only combination he hadn't tried. He raised his eyebrows at me and wired it as I suggested. The mill ran properly!!! I still don't know how I'd kept track of all those changes!! I can only do simple wiring,like light switches,reversing motors,etc.. Anyway,the final solution had NOTHING to do with the wiring diagram.

I THINK those Chinese might just sometimes grab the closest wiring diagram and stick it in your machine. (I doubt most of them have any knowledge beyond the little task they do.) And THIS was in a TAIWAN made machine!! A good machine I never had any problems with other than the bogus diagram.

My advice to you is: LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL DIAGRAM before you alter it to change to another voltage. This way,you can at least put it back to what it was if needed. These lathes have much more complex diagrams than my mill drill did,so be extra careful.

I say most of them have little knowledge beyond their assigned task not without reason: There was a bench lathe posted somewhere,which had the rear foot put on sideways,so that the 2 mounting holes were in line with the bed of the lathe,instead of being front and back!! The foot pattern apparently was separate from the bed,and would still "fit" turned sideways. They sold it like that!

George,
I agree I looked at the electric diagram closer, and I do see some discrepancies, The output from the transformer show’s 3 wires, and the control transformer I have has 4! Looks like the forward and reverse relays are correct, that’s all I looked at just skimming reading it! Thanks for the warning! This is the only schematic I have found, Grizzly says they have none, for this machine, the rest are pictures, and block diagrams!
Bob in Oregon

Got the lathe setup and leveled, did the break in, changed the oil and went thru and lubed everything today. I'll recheck the level tomorrow and than finish up the tailstock setup and run a test cut.

Lathe has been awesome, I have done 3 barrels, made some little tools for my shop, and some work for a friend who is restoring a really old pickup (I'm not into the car thing so I didn't pay attention to anything about year and make)
Going to go thru the lathe tomorrow and check everything out and lube.
So far, I am very happy with this lathe, it does exactly what I need it to do. The wife unit is even coming up with ideas for things I need to make for her.:phew:

Lathe has been awesome, I have done 3 barrels, made some little tools for my shop, and some work for a friend who is restoring a really old pickup (I'm not into the car thing so I didn't pay attention to anything about year and make)
Going to go thru the lathe tomorrow and check everything out and lube.
So far, I am very happy with this lathe, it does exactly what I need it to do. The wife unit is even coming up with ideas for things I need to make for her.:phew:

Glad you're happy with your new Grizzly. I guess it's natural for people to only report issues but I can tell you my G4003G was perfect right out of the crate with the exception that one camlok on my 4 jaw needed to be screwed in one more turn. The paint is fine and was very little swarf in the headstock. The only complaint I have is that the 2MT drill chuck I got with my lathe was junk so I bought a replacement. I'm blown away by the quality of the machine for the price.

Necroposting... Raross61, Bob, I was wondering if you still are utilizing that hole you made in the gear cover to lube the gears or have you tried something else? Also, did you ever make that belt cover idea you had so lube wouldn't get all over the belts? Thanks.

Necroposting... Raross61, Bob, I was wondering if you still are utilizing that hole you made in the gear cover to lube the gears

Back geats, or Norton Gearbox gears? Spindle gears are inside the oil filled spindle box.

Mitch, sorry I meant the spindle gears, not the qcgb.

About electrical schematics: They CAN be totally BOGUS!!!! I had a mill drill probably made in Taiwan even,because I got it about 1980. The electrician wanted to run it on 220 for better performance(I hadn't noticed less performance on the 110 I'd been using for over 2 years),but I'm no electrician,so said o.k.. He went by the schematic and couldn't get the thing to work. There were 6 wires. He kept changing wiring,flicking the switch on and off to see if it was working. Half the time the mill ran backwards. Finally,he gave up. Somehow,in a moment of I still don't know what,I said to wire it thus and so,because it was the only combination he hadn't tried. He raised his eyebrows at me and wired it as I suggested. The mill ran properly!!! I still don't know how I'd kept track of all those changes!! I can only do simple wiring,like light switches,reversing motors,etc.. Anyway,the final solution had NOTHING to do with the wiring diagram.

I THINK those Chinese might just sometimes grab the closest wiring diagram and stick it in your machine. (I doubt most of them have any knowledge beyond the little task they do.) And THIS was in a TAIWAN made machine!! A good machine I never had any problems with other than the bogus diagram.

My advice to you is: LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL DIAGRAM before you alter it to change to another voltage. This way,you can at least put it back to what it was if needed. These lathes have much more complex diagrams than my mill drill did,so be extra careful.

I say most of them have little knowledge beyond their assigned task not without reason: There was a bench lathe posted somewhere,which had the rear foot put on sideways,so that the 2 mounting holes were in line with the bed of the lathe,instead of being front and back!! The foot pattern apparently was separate from the bed,and would still "fit" turned sideways. They sold it like that!

Well George they have not changed much on their quality control for wiring diagrams over the last 38 yrs. Just bought a Jet Gear head Mill (Taiwan) that was wired for 120V and I wanted to wire it for 240V. The diagram in the manual showed hooking up the six wires one way the wiring diagram in the motor cover (Pecker Head) showed it wired a different way. Called Jet and they said wire it according to the motor cover diagram. WRONG!
The wiring diagram in the motor cover had one of the 240V legs just capped off not tied to any motor winding (It never would have worked).

So I wired it according to the manual and the motor runs fine.

Mitch, sorry I meant the spindle gears, not the qcgb.

The back gears in my G4003G are lubed with a light coat of grease.
The spindle gears are in the oil filled box.
The Norton QC gears are lubed with a light coating of grease, the bearings are lubed with oil daily.

Back