New Grizzly G0755 mill is set up and running

Harleyscooter

Active User
Registered
Hi wanted to share some pictures of the new mill. It came fully assembled to the base in a wooden box that barely fit through the 7' high garage door. I set it against the wall, leveled it and it was time to figure out some storage area. I built three shelves to fit behind it. I did notice the gear box oil filled the sight glass and I read in the PM45 area that some of these were over filled so I drained some oil out and did the break-in and changed the oil. The only thing I found to this point is I had to tap the lift motor to get it to run? It works all the time now.

Lathe-and-mill-delivered.jpg Mill-tooling.jpg Mill-area.jpg Mill-area2.jpg Mill-area5.jpg Mill-&-Shelves.jpg

I needed somewhere to put heavy stuff so I built this small ground shelf out of 2X10's. I also read about shop vac's on the forum and had to build one of those with the separator and it is really handy. I had another problem with the drawbar bolt bottom nut, if I am doing it right I tighten the top pinned nut into the collet and then hold that and tighten the bottom flanged nut. This caused the flange of the nut to move off center over the edge of the inside of the spindle splines causing the quill travel to be limited to 3-1/2". I built a spline wrench with a socket type thing on top with a bore that just fits over the outside of the splines and a reduced bore at the top that just fits the diameter of the drawbar bottom bolt flange, that seems to keep things lined up. The last thing I found a problem with was the rapid speed switch for the X travel would stick sometimes, that was kind of scary the first time. Today I got into the switch and found the little bracket that holds the push pin and the switch was bent and the pin would hit the micro switch at an angle and stick every now and then, after straightening the bracket it works fine. So far I am very happy with the mill and the problems were very minor and easily fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

I can still get the Harley in there so all is good. LOL

Mill-area6.jpg Mill-area4.jpg Mill-area3.jpg Harley2.jpg harley3.jpg

Please keep us updated on your new mill. That model is on my short list for when I get the cash saved up!

Lucky you! I just got a postcard from Grizzly saying it's now on backorder and they can't say when my mill will be delivered.:dunno: M

Mac,
What about checking with Precision Mathews and cancelling the Grizzly. I think the cpmparable unit is the PM-45. Those grizzly machnes do take a while when they have to me made and shipped in from China. Just a thought and the PM's come with the DRO installed for cheap too, so your half way to CNC if you do decide to do a conversion on that machine too. Just thinkin out loud.

Bob

Mac,
What about checking with Precision Mathews and cancelling the Grizzly. I think the cpmparable unit is the PM-45. Those grizzly machnes do take a while when they have to me made and shipped in from China. Just a thought and the PM's come with the DRO installed for cheap too, so your half way to CNC if you do decide to do a conversion on that machine too. Just thinkin out loud.

Bob

Good point Bob.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't the PM-932 be a closer match to the G0755 than the PM-45? I'm just trying to figure out the differences.

Yes it would, I hadn't noticed that one before, so thanks to you I've now got a call in to Matt and I'm waiting to hear back from him!
M

Hi wanted to share some pictures of the new mill. It came fully assembled to the base in a wooden box that barely fit through the 7' high garage door. I set it against the wall, leveled it and it was time to figure out some storage area. I built three shelves to fit behind it. I did notice the gear box oil filled the sight glass and I read in the PM45 area that some of these were over filled so I drained some oil out and did the break-in and changed the oil. The only thing I found to this point is I had to tap the lift motor to get it to run? It works all the time now.
Hi , my name is jon and am new to this forum , and just bought the g0755.. Have had the same problem with quill hanging up at 3.5 inches, now is free but stiff in that one area.
Have you used any large endmills in steel, 1 inch or a 2.5 inch facemill, was wondering how this machine will do ..

thanks
jon

Hi , my name is jon and am new to this forum , and just bought the g0755.. Have had the same problem with quill hanging up at 3.5 inches, now is free but stiff in that one area.
Have you used any large endmills in steel, 1 inch or a 2.5 inch facemill, was wondering how this machine will do ..

thanks
jon

Hi Jon, I have not done to much, I am still waiting for Shars to get their 550v vises in stock. I did use a 11/16 four flute end mill to cut 5/8" off each side of some 3/8"X2" flat bar for the spindle wrench, that work good. Check the outside dia. of the bottom nut flange on the drawbar for scratches, that is where mine was sticking. I also thought about adding a lightly pressed on bushing on the drawbar bolt under the bottom nut that would keep the drawbar centered in the spindle bore. What kind of vise did you get?

Back