New Grizzly G0796 Mill For $4750?

I wonder how many they have pre-sold?

tmarks, I'm getting sick of the hot weather. I worked in my shop this morning until 11:30, it was 80 inside when I quit.

I didn't have enough sense to quit until about 6:00, yeah, it's hot.

I have the same problem.

I swore last summer that I would put insulation in the ceiling during the winter (when it was cold enough to do that sort of thing).

And here I sit swearing the same intention next winter. At least the walls are well insulated.

Hi tmarks11:

Yes it is blistering hot here too since we are only about 30 miles apart. I am used to and appreciate and yeah, even like our constant 70 degree wetness here. I want it back.

Yes, I have heard some upset people that eventually get satisfied by Grizzly or get their money back. I would like it if they would give me a solid date though. Every time I get a delivery date from them it costs me a days wages and makes me look like a flake at work. If they either had a half day Saturday to pick up machines or told the truth about the availability date, either of those would be fine. As it is it has cost me four days pay so far.

I am converting the Bridgeport type mill rather than a square column because I cannot find a square column mill with a 9x49 table, 3 real horsepower, and the kind of travel I can get in the G0796 for under $4500. I also regularly work on long parts that require me to swing the turret to reach the part secured to the front or back of the table. I will apply motors to the quill and the W axis (Knee) both. I have four motors and drives. I intend to counterbalance the knee as well.

Shameless gloat time: I have a set of castings for Guy Lautard's Tinker tool and cutter grinder, and another full set of Quorn castings because I really understood the need for a tool and cutter grinder. Then,,,,I was cruising Craigslist and WHAM!!!!! I got hit square in the face by a Gorton Model 375-2 full size tool and cutter grinder like the big boys use with a full set of collets for.....wait........wait......wait for it......$375.00 Yahooooo, I nearly tore my pocket off trying to get to my wallet. Anybody need some castings and instructions?

Barry

So Grizzly called me today. Apparently they do read the comments on their Facebook page. The Pennsylvania store is open on Saturday but the Bellingham Washington store isn't. The official word from Grizzly when asked why is "That is what the President wants". Just thought you should know

The Pennsylvania store is open on Saturday but the Bellingham Washington store isn't. The official word from Grizzly when asked why is "That is what the President wants".
To be fair, the Grizzly store has never had more than two people in it any time I have been there. Fortunately work sends me through Bellingham on travel once or twice a month.

Can't see them keeping it open an extra day each week assuming they would actually get more foot traffic. Yes, it sucks to try to get up there during the work week, but there you go. Might be nice if they had a "Saturday event" maybe once a month or once every two months for people to make a pilgrimage to.

The PA showroom is why bigger, and in a more populated area, so I would assume it sees a lot more business which probably justifies having it open on Saturday.

Since Grizzly has continued to grow and thrive for 30+ years without having Saturday hours in Bellingham, I doubt it will ever change. In-store purchases are a minuscule percentage of their business.

Last edited:
Thanks tmarks, I feel way better now. I have to arrange for and hire a substitute teacher weeks in advance. Every time they tell me the machine will arrive I have to take a day off without pay. Because the sub has already been hired, I cannot then elect to work after Grizzly changes the date. I do not expect them to know when the thing will arrive, I do expect them not to tell me a date that might not work out. So far this has happened four times. Four days without pay makes the machine way more expensive. I am not in a job where I can just take a day off willy nilly.

Thanks for answering my post. I am just getting grumpy. Tomorrow was supposed to be the fourth day I was supposed to pick yup the machine.

Barry

Tomorrow was supposed to be the fourth day I was supposed to pick yup the machine.
yeah, I guess I am lucky there. On one of my trips back from Vancouver, I stopped at the u-haul place in Bellingham to snag a trailer, then jumped over to Grizzly to pick up my lathe and was home 3 hours later. Since it wasn't a dedicated trip (I was passing through anyhow), it was no big deal.

Having to schedule work time off could throw a monkey-wrench into things; I can see that really starting to suck. Can't you just wait for them to say it is finally there, than arrange your substitute? It might end up sitting in their warehouse for two weeks while you get you sub, but it doesn't seem like the alternative is working for you.

Grizzly gives you ten days to pick up merchandise after they get it in. How many people could wait another two weeks after already having waited six months to pick up their new milling machine? Seriously?

tmarks, we have the same lathe. I like the G0709 a lot.

Grizzly gives you ten days to pick up merchandise after they get it in.
Well that kind of removes that as an option for you, if you need 2 weeks advance notice to get a substitute. Sounds seriously frustrating.

Back