New Grizzly Lathe And Mill

I put the rubber machine mounts under the G0494 lathe and after over 3 years I just checked the level and it was still within 2 tenths. I put a six jaw TMX set tru chuck on the lathe and got the runout down to less than 2 tenths but was getting some taper on the test cut. Had to lower the front tailstock foot a small amount to get a good cut. The tail end is now about .005 low but the test cut is within .0003. not sure what else to do to fix the taper.

Congratulations--both your lathe and mill are close to 2x the weight of my lathe and mill (also from big G).

Most excellent beginning there. Welcome!

I had an old central machine drill/mill that i used for the last 5 years and really wanted a variable speed and found a Grizzly G0762Z that was on closeout. I got it home, cleaned and oiled it ran through the break in process and loaded up the original chuck that came with it and was disappointed that it had almost 0.002" run out. I bought a SB1383 keyless chuck and chucked on a 1/2" end mill runs .00015 of run out. I have been very pleased with the mill.289094

I bought a G4003G from the scratch and dent floor at grizzly and after going through the break in process and cleaning I found that the cross slide had a lot of play to it. Even after tightening the wedge all the way there was almost .060" movement. I had some shim stock and cut some pieces to place behind the wedge but a .025 and .031 was to tight and had to use 2 .025 pieces. those fit but then the wedge end would slip out from under the adjusting screw and I had to make a custom washer to fit under the screw. After that the cross slide is nice and snug.

Back