[4]

New Group Created - Australia - New Zealand Metal Shavers

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
OK so where is everyone? I know you guys are out there, somewhere. Maybe no one knows this space is here. I only just found it, and I've been a member for a year, well almost, in about ten days time.

Bob from Adelaide South Australia

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi Bob, just found it this minute so here I am.

Ozwelder

Active User
Registered
Ozwelder here, from Mackay Queensland.
same here not aware of the group until today.

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Hi Guys, I was not aware of this group until yesterday, I just stumbled on it by accident. It looks like it was created by our leader Nels, back in May 2, 2016. When I found it there was no one here, so I put up a comment just to see what happens.

It's not a bad idea, I think there are quite few Aussies here on this forum, and a few Kiwis, so it could be useful to know who is around, and exchange ideas that are more relevant to our neck of the woods.

have you guys found a good source of metal at low cost. Most of the scrap metal dealers around here wont sell to the public especially small lots, and they won't let you into their yards. occ. health and safety crap. I've also tried a number of machine shops, trying to scrounge bar ends etc. with very limited luck. I have however recently found a heavy steel fabricator who is quite happy for me to rummage through his scrap bins, and take what I want, some really nice thick sections of I beam and channel etc., will be useful when cut up. Looks like I'll have to crank up the oxy set, they are way too big for my band saw.

Last edited:

savarin

Active User
Some months ago I went into an aluminium welding and fabricating company to try and purchase some short lengths of tube and some plate which he cut to size.
Whilst chatting I bemoaned the fact that stupid hobbiests such as my self were finding it very difficult to buy small amounts of raw materials for our projects and thanked him very much.
Driving past yesterday I noticed he now has a huge sign outside stating Off Cuts for sale. It pays to chat.
Another steel fabricator also allows you to rummage through his off cuts bin.
Its well worth trying these places and let them know what you are trying to build.
Not all but some will be very helpfull. I've found the smaller companies are the best, the large ones just trot out the WH&S card with a short no.

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Some months ago I went into an aluminium welding and fabricating company to try and purchase some short lengths of tube and some plate which he cut to size.
Whilst chatting I bemoaned the fact that stupid hobbiests such as my self were finding it very difficult to buy small amounts of raw materials for our projects and thanked him very much.
Driving past yesterday I noticed he now has a huge sign outside stating Off Cuts for sale. It pays to chat.
Another steel fabricator also allows you to rummage through his off cuts bin.
Its well worth trying these places and let them know what you are trying to build.
Not all but some will be very helpfull. I've found the smaller companies are the best, the large ones just trot out the WH&S card with a short no.
Thanks for that Charles, I must try that, I haven't been looking for any aluminium yet. But definitely my experience with steel in round or hex offcuts and bar ends, apart from the one fabrication shop as mentioned above, it turns out he's a friend of a friend, so it might work out even better in future.

savarin

Active User
Its a bit weird here at the moment, theres some weird stuff been falling out the sky all day.
I cant remember what its called but rumour has it that its common elsewhere.
Temperature has plummeted to a sub arctic 25'C Brrrrrr

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Its a bit weird here at the moment, theres some weird stuff been falling out the sky all day.
I cant remember what its called but rumour has it that its common elsewhere.
Temperature has plummeted to a sub arctic 25'C Brrrrrr
Suck it up sunshine, I know you folks in Townsville think you live in a rain shadow area, you average 2 -3 times the average annual rainfall of Adelaide, and while the temperature is getting up to 19 -21 c by late afternoon it goes below 10 overnight. Tonight they are predicting 8c at 6am.

25c T shirt weather.

LOL, Bob.

savarin

Active User
We are in level 3 water restrictions at present that this downpour wont affect one iota.
Its great for the garden but wont lift the watering restrictions.
As to temps, this summer was the worst since weve been here but were off to Melbourne at the end of June, I think the temperature there will kill me.:laughing:

Laytonnz

Registered
hey, so first time i have noticed this section aswell, any kiwis lurking around this forum?

always keen to meet like minded people....

i haven't had any luck getting metal in small quantity's either ... a local shop often gives me off cuts when im in there asking for bits and pieces but i feel bad going in there too often, im after a place that sells bronze for a reasonable price, seems damn hard to find.

MozamPete

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
any kiwis lurking around this forum?
I've lived in Southern Africa for 14 years now, but I still consider myself a Kiwi (originally from Christchurch).

Little-Eagle

Registered
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy some decent endmills for cutting mild steel, would just like to know where people buy theirs from, I don't mind spending a bit of coin for quality. Would like to buy Aus made if possible, but not mandatory but would be good to buy from an Aus seller.

I'm new to machining and have bought a HM-50 mill second hand and am starting to get comfortable enough with the machine now, although really I don't know what I'm doing.

I've tried side facing some 16mm thick mild steel plate with the end mills I've been buying from Hare and Forbes but I can't seem to get it to cut well, the tool seems to start to flex or doesn't cut at all, it just seems to slide off the side of the material, I believe I have my speed right and I have tried adjusting my feed rate, but nothing seems to work, I was starting to wonder if I was using the wrong type of cutter.

Cheers

Damo

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy some decent endmills for cutting mild steel, would just like to know where people buy theirs from, I don't mind spending a bit of coin for quality. Would like to buy Aus made if possible, but not mandatory but would be good to buy from an Aus seller.

I'm new to machining and have bought a HM-50 mill second hand and am starting to get comfortable enough with the machine now, although really I don't know what I'm doing.

I've tried side facing some 16mm thick mild steel plate with the end mills I've been buying from Hare and Forbes but I can't seem to get it to cut well, the tool seems to start to flex or doesn't cut at all, it just seems to slide off the side of the material, I believe I have my speed right and I have tried adjusting my feed rate, but nothing seems to work, I was starting to wonder if I was using the wrong type of cutter.

Cheers

Damo
Hi Damo, Not familiar with that machine, but I looked it up and it appears to be well liked, What size cutter are you using. what does your manual say about this process.

I have to ask a couple of obvious questions. Is the cutter sharp and is it rotating the right way. Is the cutter HHS or carbide inset, what RPM are you running. These questions are all relevant and as you are a newbie, you are allowed to get it wrong. When the tool doesn't cut and starts to flex something is wrong.

What is the condition of the face you are trying to machine, is it off a saw cut or oxy cut, or heavily rusted , can you file the edge, or other? What is the depth of cut and feed rate?

Can you post a pic of the set up and a close up of the cutter.

Bob

Little-Eagle

Registered
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply, I'm using a 12mm HSS End Mill, It was pretty new when I first used it but the more I think about it the more I think I have it running too fast.

Depth of cut was probably .5mm, aI think I tried bigger and smaller cuts at the time to no avail.

Will have to check the speed tomorrow, time to get kids to bed and all that stuff.

The condition of the material is what is left after cutting with an angle grinder.

After some teething problems at the start again either running to fast or too slow I now have my 50mm carbide insert face cutter making nice chips and cutting through the stock like butter.

The material 16mm thk. flat plate, 100mm long set up in the vice with as little overhang as possible, probably 10-15mm.

Depth of cut, I'm trying to face the full depth of the 16mm plate, I've tried cutting small sections and I've tried the whole face.

I'll try take some photos tomorrow after work if I get the chance.

Damo

Downunder Bob

Staff member
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply, I'm using a 12mm HSS End Mill, It was pretty new when I first used it but the more I think about it the more I think I have it running too fast.

Depth of cut was probably .5mm, aI think I tried bigger and smaller cuts at the time to no avail.

Will have to check the speed tomorrow, time to get kids to bed and all that stuff.

The condition of the material is what is left after cutting with an angle grinder.

After some teething problems at the start again either running to fast or too slow I now have my 50mm carbide insert face cutter making nice chips and cutting through the stock like butter.

The material 16mm thk. flat plate, 100mm long set up in the vice with as little overhang as possible, probably 10-15mm.

Depth of cut, I'm trying to face the full depth of the 16mm plate, I've tried cutting small sections and I've tried the whole face.

I'll try take some photos tomorrow after work if I get the chance.

Damo
Looks like you're onto it, If you were running too fast then have probably dulled the cutting edge of the HSS. They are buggers to sharpen by hand. even for the experienced, much harder than a drill.

It's a good idea to have a cutting speed chart, particularly if you're new to machining, after a while they sort of become instinctive. It's easy to make one using any spreadsheet program. Or you can find some online, and download and print it out. put in a plastic sleeve and hang in the shop.

Little-Eagle

Registered
I got about 20 minutes in the shed the other day and yep, looks like I was running a bit fast.

I slowed it down ti the lowest setting (which still seems bit fast) and got some better results, but I think you're right Bob, I think the end mill has lost some of it's sting with the abuse I gave it. Not to worry.

Hopefully now I can progress my project a bit more now that I've worked it out, will try to remember to take some photos tomorrow if I get the chance.

Downunder Bob

Staff member
I got about 20 minutes in the shed the other day and yep, looks like I was running a bit fast.

I slowed it down ti the lowest setting (which still seems bit fast) and got some better results, but I think you're right Bob, I think the end mill has lost some of it's sting with the abuse I gave it. Not to worry.

Hopefully now I can progress my project a bit more now that I've worked it out, will try to remember to take some photos tomorrow if I get the chance.
If your slowest speed is still too fast you might have to figure a way to get it lower. But do the calculations make a chart or download one from the internet. Always remember you can get away with running HSS a bit fast on a lathe because it is easy to resharpen the tool, but with a milling cutter not so always start a bit slow and build up until the chips are just starting to com off with a bit of blue colour, that's fast enough and run coolant, your cutters will last much longer.

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]