New Group Created - Australia - New Zealand Metal Shavers

OK so where is everyone? I know you guys are out there, somewhere. Maybe no one knows this space is here. I only just found it, and I've been a member for a year, well almost, in about ten days time.

Bob from Adelaide South Australia

Hi Bob, just found it this minute so here I am.

Ozwelder here, from Mackay Queensland.
same here not aware of the group until today.

Hi Guys, I was not aware of this group until yesterday, I just stumbled on it by accident. It looks like it was created by our leader Nels, back in May 2, 2016. When I found it there was no one here, so I put up a comment just to see what happens.

It's not a bad idea, I think there are quite few Aussies here on this forum, and a few Kiwis, so it could be useful to know who is around, and exchange ideas that are more relevant to our neck of the woods.

have you guys found a good source of metal at low cost. Most of the scrap metal dealers around here wont sell to the public especially small lots, and they won't let you into their yards. occ. health and safety crap. I've also tried a number of machine shops, trying to scrounge bar ends etc. with very limited luck. I have however recently found a heavy steel fabricator who is quite happy for me to rummage through his scrap bins, and take what I want, some really nice thick sections of I beam and channel etc., will be useful when cut up. Looks like I'll have to crank up the oxy set, they are way too big for my band saw.

Last edited:
Some months ago I went into an aluminium welding and fabricating company to try and purchase some short lengths of tube and some plate which he cut to size.
Whilst chatting I bemoaned the fact that stupid hobbiests such as my self were finding it very difficult to buy small amounts of raw materials for our projects and thanked him very much.
Driving past yesterday I noticed he now has a huge sign outside stating Off Cuts for sale. It pays to chat.
Another steel fabricator also allows you to rummage through his off cuts bin.
Its well worth trying these places and let them know what you are trying to build.
Not all but some will be very helpfull. I've found the smaller companies are the best, the large ones just trot out the WH&S card with a short no.

Some months ago I went into an aluminium welding and fabricating company to try and purchase some short lengths of tube and some plate which he cut to size.
Whilst chatting I bemoaned the fact that stupid hobbiests such as my self were finding it very difficult to buy small amounts of raw materials for our projects and thanked him very much.
Driving past yesterday I noticed he now has a huge sign outside stating Off Cuts for sale. It pays to chat.
Another steel fabricator also allows you to rummage through his off cuts bin.
Its well worth trying these places and let them know what you are trying to build.
Not all but some will be very helpfull. I've found the smaller companies are the best, the large ones just trot out the WH&S card with a short no.
Thanks for that Charles, I must try that, I haven't been looking for any aluminium yet. But definitely my experience with steel in round or hex offcuts and bar ends, apart from the one fabrication shop as mentioned above, it turns out he's a friend of a friend, so it might work out even better in future.

Its a bit weird here at the moment, theres some weird stuff been falling out the sky all day.
I cant remember what its called but rumour has it that its common elsewhere.
Temperature has plummeted to a sub arctic 25'C Brrrrrr

Its a bit weird here at the moment, theres some weird stuff been falling out the sky all day.
I cant remember what its called but rumour has it that its common elsewhere.
Temperature has plummeted to a sub arctic 25'C Brrrrrr

Suck it up sunshine, I know you folks in Townsville think you live in a rain shadow area, you average 2 -3 times the average annual rainfall of Adelaide, and while the temperature is getting up to 19 -21 c by late afternoon it goes below 10 overnight. Tonight they are predicting 8c at 6am.

25c T shirt weather.

LOL, Bob.

We are in level 3 water restrictions at present that this downpour wont affect one iota.
Its great for the garden but wont lift the watering restrictions.
As to temps, this summer was the worst since weve been here but were off to Melbourne at the end of June, I think the temperature there will kill me.:laughing:

Back