New Group Created - Australia - New Zealand Metal Shavers

Hi all, Joe here from Mandurang South, near Bendigo Victoria.
My interests are restoring old machine tools and motorcycles - and up-cycling anything mechanical in reality....
Cheers.

With regard to buying small offcuts, once upon a time I used to get offcuts from salvage yards, now it seems most don't sell, they only buy. No matter, most places don't have a minimum buy amount anymore so you can buy what ever you want in short lengths. I tend to always buy a lot more than I need, this helps extend my stock pile, and of course allows for mistakes, of which I make lots. I took two goes to make a ball turner I was happy with, the first was a welded together one, the second all machined, not easy without a mill but at least I have a vertical slide. Funnily enough the welded one works best, but I tend to use the machined one simply because it looks better. Mk1 on the left, Mk2 on the right. Here's a link to my Metalwork Shop group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1698761733787694/?ref=bookmarks

Attachments

• balls.jpg
    balls.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
There is no getting to the group using Neils link: Oops, it says!

Ozwelder here, from Mackay Queensland.
same here not aware of the group until today.

G'day Ozwelder how about joining the group so we all know who you are and where you are

Downunder Bob. Moderator ANZMSG

There is no getting to the group using Neils link: Oops, it says!

Try going to the home page and scroll right find Groups click on it and scroll down to find Aussie logo and go from there.

Gday All.
I've just found this sub group as well, even though I have been a member on the main group for a few years now. I don't post a lot but do have a look fairly regularly.
I'm located at Charlestown which is close to Newcastle and Lake Macquarie in NSW.
Got a small lathe (McMillan) and an old (1987 I think) Hafco Bridgeport clone mill, couple of grinders and drill press. Just have a small 3m X 6m shed so space is at a real premium. In another life I used to have a big shed but lost it when my now ex bolted. Usual story.
I don't do a lot with my machines (don't have much in the way of projects atm) but recently I have fitted dro's to both the mill and the lathe.
I have been spending a bit of time over the last year or so fixing things on the machines (and/or accessories) just to make them easier to use with out having to stuff around too much.
Lathe had a single phase motor which I swapped out for a 3 phase and vfd. Best thing I ever did to the lathe. It runs heaps smoother now and the variable speed is great.
Also running the mill on a VFD as I dont have 3 phase in my shed.

Peter

G'day Peter, Welcome, Now that you've found us, the ANZMSG are you going to join?
We are looking for new members And if you join and read the members messages there are some important messages, So look forward to seeing on the members list, When joining the group makes sure you have your full name state, city and suburb with post code.on the list thanks.

Moderator ANZMSG,

Downunder Bob.

Bob. Isnt this just a sub forum of Hobby Machinist which I joined in 2011?
peter

Yes Peter it is a sub group of HM, but membership is not automatic, you need to go through the motions of actually visiting the subgroup page and asking to join, then it will happen. Also note you don't have to it's quite optional, we just want to know who wants to be part of the sub group or not. However if your not a member you may miss out on some announcements that are specific to Australia. You have to have an Australian or New Zealand address to be a member

Back