New guy from Cecil County, MD. Looking for mentor.

Sheridan22USMC

Registered
Registered
So I have absolutely no experience in machining or any of it's relatable tooling. I'm here to learn (from a mentor hopefully) and maybe acquire some tools/machines at a reasonable rate. I live in Cecil County but work in Greenbelt at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center as a contractor. As you can imagine, I'm around a lot of machine shops and various tools. Over the years, I've grown extremely fond of said shops and tools but am not authorized to use any of the tools or machines. I'm trying to teach myself new skills from carpentry to metal work and automtive. Machining seems to fit well into the metal working category and it looks extremely interesting. With that being said, you can imagine I have a lot of "projects," as I would refer to them (my wife calls them junk). One such project I have is tearing apart a truck and rebuilding it from the frame.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share and it would be much appreciated if you all would be able to point me in the right direction for a total newby to learn this craft.

Hi Sheridan.

I cannot help with the mentor bit, but wanted to say: Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!

I think you'll find you are among like-minded people here.

Some great ways to learn:
-poke around here, search on the tools you're interested in, get to know the lingo
-have a look at some interesting posts like:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-right-lathe-for-beginners.25915/#post-229181
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-select-a-milling-machine-a-guide.30066/#post-259269
-check on youtube for guys like ClickSpring, This Old Tony, etc.

There is a section for trying to find a mentor here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/foru...ign-up-here-to-give-help-or-receive-help.199/
(althougth, I don't know how active it is.....)

-brino

Welcome , I'd add Mr Pete on YouTube , he was a shop teacher . Lots of good ones and some I wouldn't want you to copy. The one major item you really need to adhere to is SAFTEY FIRST , NO LOOSE CLOTHING , LONG DANGLING HAIR , RINGS , WRISTWATCH , ANYTHING THAT CAN GET CAUGHT OR WOUND UP IN. Machines have no cares.

Welcome Sheridan. This forum is a great place for beginners to learn. I'm sure you'll find someone from your area to help you out. There are lots of books here and many real machinists to answer questions.

Thank you for all of the welcomes. They are much appreciated.

I've watched a lot of ClickSpring and This Old Tony. They are definitely very intelligent people and very helpful in explaining things. I'll be sure to check out those links.

Watching Mr Pete as we speak. It's refreshing to know that there is so much content on his YouTube channel. I'd imagine that I'll have little problems finding what I'm looking for just by going to his channel. Thank you for that recommendation!

I'm extremely interested to hear from some like minded people and get their insights.

Thanks again!

Thank you for all of the welcomes. They are much appreciated.

I've watched a lot of ClickSpring and This Old Tony. They are definitely very intelligent people and very helpful in explaining things. I'll be sure to check out those links.

Watching Mr Pete as we speak. It's refreshing to know that there is so much content on his YouTube channel. I'd imagine that I'll have little problems finding what I'm looking for just by going to his channel. Thank you for that recommendation!

I'm extremely interested to hear from some like minded people and get their insights.

Thanks again!
If you go to the YouTube creator's home page (just click on the channel name), there is a magnifying glass at the right end of the list of options. Click on it and then do a search within that site of what is on the creator's site using single or multiple keywords you are interested in. If you click on "videos" you will get a chronological view of all his videos, many pages worth with mrpete222.

Sheridan, if you can make it to Baltimore in the evenings, there is a great place called The Foundery where I have taken mill, lathe and welding classes. They are from 6 to 9 pm and cost $75. They just started a new class on how to sharpen tooling. Check out www.foundery.com.

As someone who worked in the trades for my life. Mr Pete is probably the best at instructional videos I watch. Now I enjoy some of the other creators because there are more than one way to do things.

Now I’m going to put in a shameless plug for my channel. While I’m no Mr Pete I do show things one can do at home. So I am inviting you to at least go by and have a look. Go to YouTube and search my name James Dedmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoDan, thanks for the recommendation. That is just the place that I've been looking for. I hope to be able to start attending the classes there soon.

Jdedmon91, I will certainly look for you on there. Can't wait to see your content.

Also, as an update, I should be getting my Atlas QC42 lathe tomorrow...Very excited!!!

Thanks everyone!

Back