New Guy from MA with a 13" SB

Welcome aboard Chris. Springfield is less than an hour from me. I am just west of Hartford. Glad you found us.

"Billy G"

Thank you. I'm slightly familiar with Bristol, i work with a guy who lives there. I'm glad i found this forum too. I have already learned a lot just by reading past threads. Thanks for helping keep this place alive for us new guys to learn from. I'm sure the seasoned pro's learn stuff too.

-Chris

That's what drives this Forum Chris, everyone learns here. My full name is Bill Gruby. See if your friend knows me. I know a lot of people that work in your area.

"Billy G"

That's what drives this Forum Chris, everyone learns here. My full name is Bill Gruby. See if your friend knows me. I know a lot of people that work in your area.

"Billy G"

I asked him, he doesn't happen to know you by name.

-Chris

Is that a lot ???????????????????????????????????

"Billy G"

I must say, the smartest and most talented people I've met so far in my life are much older than I (30+ years older). They're the ones i've learned the most from. I definitely appreciate the "older guys"!! :)

-Chris

Does anyone have recommendations on what size HSS i should run in my lathe? A friend of mine suggested i get some 1/2" M2 material. So i bought the following from Shars:

http://www.shars.com/products/cutting/tool-bits/1-2-x-6-m2-extra-long-square-tool-bit

I've yet to try grinding it. But when i was looking through the machinist tool box i got from my neighbor i noticed that all the tool bits are made from 3/8" HSS. Then again that could of been because that's all his lantern style tool holder would fit. Advice is welcomed.

-Chris

What is the tool holder you're going to use?
Do you have a tool post that'll hold a 1/2" toolbit? I don't see why you'd need a bit that large, but it also depends what you're working on/with.

I'd have suggested 3/8"

Back