New guy looking for info

the mayor

Registered
Registered
I found a #2 B & S vertical mill local. I have a very small mill drill now and have been looking for a bigger machine. Just how big is this machine height weight and such. Going to check it out tomorrow. Anything to look closely at while I'm there. Owner said it could be powered up but wanted a couple of days to do so. I just want to see if it fits my shop first.
Thanks
Tim

I do believe they're just about 4000lbs and take-up a little more floor space than a typical Bridgeport. How big is your shop? Do you have any background moving equipment that size?

Ray

I found a #2 B & S vertical mill local. I have a very small mill drill now and have been looking for a bigger machine. Just how big is this machine height weight and such. Going to check it out tomorrow. Anything to look closely at while I'm there. Owner said it could be powered up but wanted a couple of days to do so. I just want to see if it fits my shop first.
Thanks
Tim

I do believe they're just about 4000lbs and take-up a little more floor space than a typical Bridgeport. How big is your shop? Do you have any background moving equipment that size?

Ray

Weighs a lot more than I thought. Shop is 28 x 36 x 12 foot high. I was thinking about the foot print and where I would put it in the shop. I have an over head trolley crane but it's only 1 ton. My older brother and I have moved some big equipment he is a retired Ironworker/ rigger. Me I'm just a welder

Thanks

OK, at least you probably have an understand of what it's like to move big stuff. Stuff like this is usually rolled on roller bars but getting on/off the truck is the hard part. Stairs are an obstacle too. If I had to guess, I think you'll need a 5ft square spot to set it down in (and leave it there) plus a couple feet around it.

Many folks find machines this size too difficult to handle and instead try to find a square-column 45 type mill. They are not "knee" mills like what you're looking at or a Bridgeport. That's the next best thing to a "beast" piece of equipment. There are some smaller knee mills too but usually hard to find on the used market.

Ray

Weighs a lot more than I thought. Shop is 28 x 36 x 12 foot high. I was thinking about the foot print and where I would put it in the shop. I have an over head trolley crane but it's only 1 ton. My older brother and I have moved some big equipment he is a retired Ironworker/ rigger. Me I'm just a welder

Thanks

Hello Tim,

If I were you, I'd go for it. If the mill is in decent shape and reasonably priced, I wouldn't blink an eye about the weight. Not that I would be nonchalant about it, but no problem if you do your homework and you have a buddy that knows how to handle heavy equipment.

When I finally bought a mill, I was looking mostly at Bridgeports or smaller knee mills. When I saw this one, my first reaction was... :yikes: ... this is waaaay too much mill for me... I got over that pretty quick and am so glad that I bought it...

I used a local tilt-and-tow wrecker to move it. It was a breeze on the purchasing end and a little bit of hard work with a come-a-long at my shop, but I got her moved. I used a rented set of machinery skates on my end and I could push this #3500 machine by myself and steer it into position.

Here's a few pics of the move...

IMGP1264.jpg

IMGP1265.jpg

IMGP1266.jpg

IMGP1269.jpg

IMGP1372.jpg

Let us know what you decide to do....

Brian :)

IMGP1264.jpg

IMGP1265.jpg

IMGP1266.jpg

IMGP1269.jpg

IMGP1372.jpg

Moving it is not a big problem. Think!!! and take it slow and steady. Just making sure it's what I need and not more than I need.

Thanks

Great Job!

It's the exact same technique I used for my 5000# Ghisolt Lathe and my 2500# Cincy Mill.
Good job.

Wish I had a clear plan for the 7000# Surface Grinder that I talked Senna into me purchasing.

Congratulations.

Moving it is not a big problem. Think!!! and take it slow and steady. Just making sure it's what I need and not more than I need.

Thanks

My shop is about the same size as yours. You will grow into the mill in a hurry ..... :)

Went and checked it out. They had it hooked up so I got to see it under power. It is very old. It is NO.2 cast in the side, but I could not read the serial numbers to many coats of paint. I have searched goggle for a pic but can not find one. The motor is mounted high on the back of the machine with 3 belts going down to an input shaft/ fly wheel on the back of the frame. Could not get the quill to feed under power ( maybe it does not) The table and knee moved under power. Overall I would say fair to good condition really needs cleaned. I mentioned the weight, an older gentleman said 2k I laughed he said they would weigh it. It is a resale company they have over head cranes and scales. 4054 LBS. Ray C whens the grand prize.
Now the questions what taper is the quill can I find tooling. Does anyone have a pdf manual. The couple I have found online are not the correct one. The head is fixed or part of the casting and the motor is mounted on top and drive belts to an input shaft or fly wheel on the back of the casting.

Thanks

Back