New Guy, New Lathe, need a little help.

Iron-Iceberg

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello, I’ve been lurking here for a while. First I just wanted to thank everyone for posting their knowledge. I’ve already learned a lot.
I have picked up a new to me lathe. It’s a Clausing 6922 it was originally sold to a company back east and then to a company in Santa Barbara, it was then bought by a guy who was I believe a gun smith. After he died all of his tools where purchased by the guy I bought it from. The guy I bought it from never used it as he had another lathe and just got it as part of the deal.
Sorry for the long story but it’s just a little background that kinda lets you know that quite a few people have had their hands on it. The gun smith has quite a few recites for parts so I think he took good care of it and replaced things as needed. Unfortunately things get changed and modified over the years so if you see something out of place please let me know.

44095E38-02E6-4C99-8416-3961EF72E621.jpeg

4CC65E77-8DCE-461D-9A4E-22C24BBFAFFD.jpeg

DC523488-3081-4247-8981-D4F9131BD2BB.jpeg

Man that’s a score I’m seriously jealous........ I’d love to come up on something like this!!!!

You are starting out with " the best " ! Sweet looking lathe . Congrats . :encourage:

........ if you see something out of place please let me know.

Yes, there is definitely something out of place. The lathe. It’s sitting in the wrong shop. But, I can help you out with that and I’ll even pay for half the shipping. No, no. No need to thank me. It's the least I can do. :)

Welcome aboard. That looks like a very nice find.

Tom

Thanks for the thumbs ups guys.
The gunsmith changed out the 3 phase motor for a 3 HP 230V single phase. It has reverse but no high and low range like the 3 phase original. Here is the data plate and a picture of the motor. It looks like he made some custom mounts to make it fit.
I took the drive out to clean it up and install a new belt. The clutch seems to work good. So I didn’t touch it.
The vari-drive seem to be tight. I’ll check it again when I get it up and running.
0D835721-26D5-41BE-9776-B54052B1D9BC.jpeg7B4D0C1A-B0B7-4F11-A34D-5882E62B4AF2.jpeg

Could you post additional pictures of the 3 jaw chuck? It looks like a style of set true (meaning the chuck can be shifted slightly). I have a 4” on my T&C grinder, which looks similar.

David

Back