New Guy, New Lathe, need a little help.

Here are a couple pics. It was not installed when i got my lathe so I have no advise on this but I do have a camera and if you would like some other pics, let me know.
20190113_133038.jpg

20190113_132922.jpg

Ok I have a question on the variable-drive. I’ve looked over many threads and haven’t found an answer to my question so here it goes.
First I bled this thing every way I could find Instructions too. I gave up and ordered new seals and packing. It has the newer, I think, unit with the square master cylinder not the round one. After the new seals and bleeding it again I think I finally got it working good.
However I can not get the dial to match the speed of the belt. After a couple of days looking at it I decided to take the top of the variable-drive apart and try to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.
I owned the same lathe for 20 years, it is a mechanical V- belt driven variable speed drive and therefore will be inconsistent by its very nature. If you are a modern person that requires fixed speeds you will be disappointed.

The answer is, you can not control the speed of the spindle using a V-belt drive without a control and feedback such as an encoder. You may spend the rest of your natural lifespan trying to get such a simple drive to run at +- 10 RPMs from the indicated speed (-:

Thanks so much Dhectorfor taking the time to take those pictures. That looks exactly the same as mine. I’m going to have to look else where.

This looks to be the tailstock stop.
There will be a threaded hole near the end of the bed if I am correct.

No idea. It was installed in the hyd part when I got it. Its been laying around since I got it. Looked at my lathe and didnt see any threaded hole on the bed. Not sure.

It’s a dead ringer for the pushrod on the variable drive. See my picture above. It’s good to know mine had the stock pushrod and master. Thanks Again.

Back