New Guy, New Machinest, Looking For A Start

And for what that lathe costs, you wont have alot tied up in it. You can learn alot and if ever wana upgrade, probably sell it close to what you paid ...even if you sell it for half of what you paid, it only cost you a couple hundred bucks during the learning process.
I myself have tossed the idea around. Financially the lathe I want is 6-9 months out ...i've considered a mini lathe to learn on ...vs no lathe next 6-9 months . I don't see where you could go wrong with either of those . Just be sure to hit the scrap yard for practice material before learning on the real thing which could end up costing you $$$ while learning .
Get your feet wet, and their easy to sell if/when want more. good luck !

Thank You Sir!

Gotta start some where, right?

Now I should start researching the basic starter set of tools I need for this to turn good stock into shavings...

Thanks!

Just what I need, another expensive hobby...

Guitars
Cars
Amateur Radio...

and not... Machining....

Well, its more legal and healthier that Hookers and blow I reckon!

Congratulations. With a bit of care, you can do quite a lot with the little benchtops. As previously mentioned, you will find a lot of information on the web dealing with tuning and improving these machines. May I recommend making a cam-lock for the tailstock? It's a simple conversion which will teach you a few skills and will make your lathe easier to use.

Reverend Bow, after cleaning the lathe you will need to go over every adjustment and nut and bolt on it. They are usually shipped barely assembled. Adjust the change gears to make sure there is some clearance about .004" between the teeth. If you are in a hurry to get your feet wet the only decent lathe tools at HF are Item Number 39931 five piece carbide insert 1/4" tools. With a 20% off coupon they are inexpensive. You will need to shim them up to the center of the work in the original tool holder. It is set up for 5/16" bits if i remember correctly. Little machine shop sells the replacement inserts and screws for them. That link I gave for the coupons i've used dozens of times. I've never had HF refuse the printed out coupons.

There are recommended tools links on this forum if you need to know what to get. If you break anything LMS sells every part for that lathe. And a ton of enhanced upgrade parts and kits. One of my first upgrades was the all metal complete gear set. Then the Tormach 0XA Quick Change Tool Post kit, AR Warner turning tools and on and on. I'm trying not to get you infected with little machine upgrade disease.

Have fun and keep us informed. Feel free to seek the forum for advice and help.

Roy

Congrats! For a little perspective I have about the same amount of time in my machine (not counting the 2.5 hour round trip to pick it up or the hour plus feat of unloading it solo!) But while you have a nominally functional machine in need of fine tuning I have parts spread all over my garage floor and a table and many hours to go yet before I can turn anything.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Congratulations Reverend Bow. I started machining with a Unimat DB200 back in the 70's. Learned a lot about small machine capabilities..and patience. What you have is a way better than what I started with.

To increase your work envelope I suggest that you get yourself a set of screw machine drill bits or stub drill bits. They are much shorter and will give you more room when working from the tail stock.

Good luck and post pictures of your progress.

David

Back