New guy/rockwell

Pietdriver

Registered
Registered
Hello all, I bought a 10" Rockwell Delta to replace my 10" craftsman. Built a table for it, did some minor cleaning, wired it up, (220, 1hp), tried to fire it up and the belt just spins on the motor. The two belts that go up from the variable speed drive appear a bit tight. There was old grease packed into all the gears, I cleaned up most of it and put some light oil on the gears. Still no go. It feels very tight when trying to turn by hand. Any help on what to do or how to set this rig up would be appreciated.

Thank-you
Wayne

Mine spins free with just moving the chuck, does yours? If it does than i would make sure that the drive is engaged, you could have it disengaged. I am using an 11", they are different but i think the drive is similar.

hth

rich

I might be talking out of a paper hat here, as I do not have any experience with your brand of lathe, but this may be food for thought: Make sure that the back gears are not engaged if that lathe has them. If they are engaged incorrectly, it could cause the entire headstock to remain locked up.

Thanks guys. This unit does have a back gear and it is not engaged, so normal mode. It does not spin freely at all. It is difficult to turn by hand. I disconnected the motor , no change. Loosened off the variable speed belt, no change. One can hear the two v belts chirping with tightness, not sure how to adjust/replace these. Should I completely disassemble the head stock and go through everything?
Wayne

Wayne, your problem could be nearly anywhere, but you have eliminated a few possibilities. I would loosen up the remaining belts and then attempt to rotate various parts by hand in order to find out what turns freely and what does not. If it ends up being the headstock that does not turn freely, check to make sure that the tumbler for the power feed (forward and reverse) is disengaged also. You should be able to narrow the problem down pretty quickly. Once you find the offending shaft, looking a little further should be able to identify the offending bearing that is hanging things up for whatever reason.

I have a 1958 Rockwell 10". Make sure the shaft that ties the back gear into the head stock slips back down from contacting the gear after you move the back gear shaft back in towards the head stock.
With the back gear shaft pushed in the whole way towards the head stock and the back gear spring-loaded locking pin pulled out of the back gear the head stock shaft should turn by hand with just finger pressure. Hope this makes some sense. It's simpler to show than to write.

Like wormy said: I would loosen or remove all the belts and disengage everything and check it one step at a time starting with the spindle. If the spindle turns free like it should, engage the next thing and just keep going until something isn't right.

Chuck

im glad others jumped in:whistle: i knew my discription was vague at best:roflmao:

always willing to help, but often lacking the skills and knowledge:))

rich

im glad others jumped in:whistle: i knew my discription was vague at best:roflmao:

always willing to help, but often lacking the skills and knowledge:))

rich

Rich--your information was good, and the first one to reply to someones problem shows them that someone is ready to help--it usually takes a lot of different members to come up with locating the problem and geting all the clues out in the open--that's why this forum is so good---Dave

Manuel 10"

Attachments

• Rockwell+10+Manual.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
Back