New guy/rockwell

Hi to all one of my first post.
Peitdriver, any luck,on this issue?

I'm curious how you make out. I'm going to be looking at the same lathe ( same as the manual anyway).

Craig

The same scan of the same manual is also in Downloads.

If you mean that the motor belt slips on the motor pulley, one good possibility is that the back gears are engaged and the Direct Drive Pull Pin is also engaged. See Page 8 in the manual.

Robert D.

The same scan of the same manual is also in Downloads.

If you mean that the motor belt slips on the motor pulley, one good possibility is that the back gears are engaged and the Direct Drive Pull Pin is also engaged. See Page 8 in the manual.

Robert D.
The back gear is definitely not engaged, Been very busy with business lately, so not much time in the shop. putting tension on the motor helps a bit, but if one tries to crank the rpm up, it only gets worse. Pretty sure its the v belts and some combination of gear lash/bearing issue. I have an original manual, and will next strip the head down and completely rebuild it. Not good cause I already sold my Atlas and really need a lath now. When I bought this one I believed the seller that it was in perfect running order and ready to go to work......thanks guys, I'll let you know how it guys and will try to post a few photos.

I'm betting the previous owner used the wrong grease in the headstock and it has caused the old grease to stiffen up. I would recommend disassembling the headstock and cleaning out the bearings...that is if you have eliminated all the other possibilities already mentioned.

Back