New Helmet

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought an Optrel helmet after it was mentioned in the thread about "welding helmet for my son". I have , and like the Lincoln 3350, I like this optrel more. My son wants to make a smoker for his house, and he brought some bed frame pieces over. My vision is not the greatest to begin with, but I can tell the difference in clarity. I give it a thumbs up. Be aware I am not a good welder, so take this with a grain of salt....

1587610004715.png

I've got an older Optrel, it's about 10 years old and still as dependable as when new. It was the first hood I bought that had the "Grind" button & maybe the only one I've got with the button on the outside so you can get to it without taking it off to look for it. From what I've read the new ones are as clear as anyone's, they're just not as main stream as the big boys are.

Reactions: Z2V
Great choice! I am going to buy a Optel Crystal to replace my old Optrel Satellite, The new one are so clear.

Hmm as I venture closer to TIG I'm thinking about upgrading as I'm having a hard time finding magnifier lens for this.
IMG_6013.jpg

One of the welding supply places has a $15 off on helmets right now. I'll see if I can find it.

My vision is past helmet magnifiers(I'll have to recheck) I'm in the 300s for readers with +2 for cataracts.

What makes this any better than your 3350? Just curious.

It has a cleaner/clearer view, less shading tint. The Lincoln was better than my Miller. I did not feel any adverse effects from the view, I'm only shading at 9. The other Optrel helmet is supposed to be better for higher amp TIG if I remember my comparisons right.

I have 2 economy welding helmets, a Miller Classic Series & the cheap Lincoln Electric that they sell at Home Depot. I also have 2 very nice welding helmets, a 3M Speedglas 9100XXi & a Miller Digital Infinity.

I like all of them except for the 3M Speedglas 9100XXi. It has a PAPR (filtered air) unit, and that causes me nothing but problems. It is good that it protects my health, but it is almost too cumbersome to use.

I have 2.50X cheaters in both of the Miller helmets. When I use the other welding helmets, I can choose any eyeglasses that I want. I choose 2.50X, 3X or sometimes 5X. I strongly prefer the welding helmets that have the cheaters in there.

I have heard great things about the Optrel. Safe welding to you.

Thank you, I found 350 helmet cheaters on Ebay I hope they work, cuz glasses suck.

Back