New Hydrashift Owner

I like your spirit.
My concerns basically center around the carriage drive system and the clutch. So while you work on indicating or removing the carriage wheel, you might try and operate the clutch. From my understanding the clutch system shouldn't have be adversely affected when the clutch lever impacted. On a tip over it does engage rather forcefully and have a lot of pressure on the linkage. Your lever isn't bent nearly as badly as some Ive seen pics of but you need to check it. At this point it doesn't need power on it just cycle it. when it engages (handle up)it should have a kind of "snick" sound and the handle should stay in the up position.

Two more things to check. On the top right side of the carriage on the flat, there should be a square headed bolt. Its the carriage clamp. If its tight loosen it. If the carriage is still binding look underneath the front lip of the bed and inspect the rack for damage,

Carriage clamp! Haha, moves fine now.

Clutch acts like it's ok. snaps in and out and the linkage looks fine. It's put together in such a way that it seems unlikely that anything other than the lever could be damaged.

Indicated the carriage wheel and shaft and it's all spot on. Got the taper pin out and the base of the wheel off. Test fit all the pieces and they go together pretty well. I'm thinking about stripping the paint, and rejoining the pieces with some jb weld. Then sand and paint.

The crosslide wheel is missing a piece of cast and the knob. It' looks simple enough and I'm thinking of making a new one from steel on the mill. Use a bolt for the knob until I can turn a new one.

The crosslide shaft looks like it's bent only at the very end where the wheel mounts. It moves just fine. I think I can straighten it out like you mentioned.

Things are looking up!

Something to keep in mind for the future, Throw out those machinery skates. They are totally worthless in moving machinery in the home shop. Mount the lathe on a couple of 2 x 8's or 2 x 10's with some 1/2" lag screws. Use some 1/2" or 3/4" pipe as rollers under the two by lumber and a pinch bar to move the lathe around on. As far as that goes, do this for any machine you intend to move! Now, you're learning machinery repair and maintenance the unintentionally way. On the bent cross feed screw, may have to stub in a new piece of shaft to fix the bent piece. Ken

Wow, that had to be sickening. Hopefully everything will work out for you. I have a 10 x 36" hydrashift if you happen to need any measurements or photos of knobs/handles.
Jack
lathe50.jpg

Nice looking machine!

I got mine running a few days ago and turned a new power feed lever--not perfect but it will serve for awhile. I still need to put the carriage wheel back together--tried jb-weld but I didn't get good results. I think I'm going to build a jig and braze the pieces back together. The crosside wheel handle looks like something I can mill but I'll do that last as the crosslide is functional. The biggest annoyance right now is the carriage wheel.

One thing you might could help me with--it's not clear to me how to disassemble the crosslide wheel and scale so I can get at the screw. Any ideas?

Nice looking machine!

I got mine running a few days ago and turned a new power feed lever--not perfect but it will serve for awhile. I still need to put the carriage wheel back together--tried jb-weld but I didn't get good results. I think I'm going to build a jig and braze the pieces back together. The crosside wheel handle looks like something I can mill but I'll do that last as the crosslide is functional. The biggest annoyance right now is the carriage wheel.

One thing you might could help me with--it's not clear to me how to disassemble the crosslide wheel and scale so I can get at the screw. Any ideas?

It's been 6 months since I had mine apart, but I did have it completely dissembled. If I remember correctly, there is a tension spring that holds the dial in place. I remember that it was tricky to take on and off, but I did it a couple times. I think you pull out on the dial and press the spring in with a small screwdriver or similar. If it wasn't so cold out, I'd go out and check it now. I know this isn't a big help, but hopefully this will lead you in the right direction.cross-slide.jpg
Jack

Thanks Jack, that helps. Another couple of questions:

The headstock seems to be running fine with one exception--it will make a fairly loud squealing noise when I brake the spindle. No noise when it's in gear. It seems like the squealing happens just after the hydraulics finish the shifting--maybe 2-3 seconds after I brake the spindle.

The squealing goes away after about 5-10 minutes of running the lathe. Any idea what might be going on here?

I want to pop the cover off the headstock and have a look inside, but I'm having trouble getting it off. I've removed all the bolts on the top of the cover, but even so it won't budge. Are there other bolts I need to remove?

On another topic, I've started to make a plan of attack on the power feed lever. I'm going to try to turn the internal parts for another one and use the existing handle and spring.

2017-01-04 23.05.57.jpg

Back