New Hydrashift Owner

Thanks Jack, that helps. Another couple of questions:

The headstock seems to be running fine with one exception--it will make a fairly loud squealing noise when I brake the spindle. No noise when it's in gear. It seems like the squealing happens just after the hydraulics finish the shifting--maybe 2-3 seconds after I brake the spindle.

The squealing goes away after about 5-10 minutes of running the lathe. Any idea what might be going on here?

I want to pop the cover off the headstock and have a look inside, but I'm having trouble getting it off. I've removed all the bolts on the top of the cover, but even so it won't budge. Are there other bolts I need to remove?

On another topic, I've started to make a plan of attack on the power feed lever. I'm going to try to turn the internal parts for another one and use the existing handle and spring.

I didn't take the top off of my headstock. I drained/replaced the oil but didn't go inside. I do have a bit of noise from the hydraulic pump when starting up the machine, but it goes away in a minute or so.

Looks like your feed lever project should be fairly easy to do.

Jack

I have the same squealing, mostly in the winter. I believe it to be a hydraulic issue between the two pumps. If there is oil flowing in the front sight glass I wouldn't worry about it.
The top may have sealant between the surfaces. They frequently leak.
Have you removed the two allen head screws from the face of the nut and unscrewed it? If so the dial should easily slide right off.

Well, it's a slow process but it's moving forward. I turned a new pin for the power feed lever. Pretty happy with how it came out--it's the first thing I've ever made with a lathe.

2017-01-18 00.13.25.jpg

Brazed the carriage wheel back together. Not pretty, but it turns true. It looks like getting it back on the shaft is going to require taking the carriage apart though.

2017-01-20 21.51.59.jpg

Getting it jigged was most of the work:
2017-01-18 19.59.09.jpg

Well, it's a slow process but it's moving forward. I turned a new pin for the power feed lever. Pretty happy with how it came out--it's the first thing I've ever made with a lathe.

View attachment 224440

Brazed the carriage wheel back together. Not pretty, but it turns true. It looks like getting it back on the shaft is going to require taking the carriage apart though.

View attachment 224441

Getting it jigged was most of the work:
View attachment 224442

Both parts look good! A little Bondo and paint and the wheel will look just fine.

I agree both parts look good. Nice job.
If your having problems getting the carriage wheel back on you might try dry icing the shaft and heating the hand wheel.
Just spitballing here, but I noticed on the parts diagram there is a removable plug behind the pinion. You might be able to remove the plug, push the pinion forward, cut a pin to fit between the pinion face and the bed. If you take the carriage apart take some pics and share with us.

I didn't notice the plug. I ended up taking the carriage apart. Wheel went back on without too much drama. I wish I had thought to snap some pics--I usually do. I was amazed at how good everything looked inside the carriage. No signs of any damage or 50 odd years of use.

The crosslide dial is buggered to the point that I can't take it apart without breaking it. It turns well enough and the brake mechanism works so I think I'm just going to put a handle on it and call it done for now. That leaves the power feed/threading handle assembly and she'll be back in good working order.

I do want to figure out how to get the head cover off so I can have a look inside--I'd like to see if I can figure out what's up with the whining noise. I think the previous owner used some sort of liquid gasket that effectively glued the cover down.

Quick question--the lathe has 6 feet--4 under the headstock and 2 under the tailstock. It's missing the two under the headstock nearest the bed. Making new feet is on my todo list, but should I do that sooner than later--is it important?

Great sounds like your making progress..
A heat gun will sometimes work on loosening gasket material.
It it were mine, replacing the missing feet and leveling it would be a very high priority.

Regarding the two missing head stock supports, I would have that high on the priority list as you will
likely need them to level the machine. The supports are there for a reason.

You might try loosening the end cover and moving it out slightly just to make sure the whining noise isn't the pulley rubbing on the cover. When I got mine there was no preload on the D shaft bearing. It would displace toward the cover and rub, when there was no load on it. It still has the Hydrashift whine though. If you listen to videos of Hydrashifts running you will probably notice that most of them have a whine.
This is purely speculation on my part but, I believe it is the governor pump making the noise. According to the local hydraulic shop the governor pump is actually a hydraulic motor being used as a pump. Nothing wrong with that, it works very well, just wasn't engineered to be a pump.
In regards to the your question about the missing feet/supports. I just completed turning a 2' piece of 80 mm stock which was roughly .075 out of round. That small amount even when turning slowly (320) was causing the entire lathe to vibrate. Not a lot but I could feel it with my hand on the tailstock. Now I wish there were more than just 6 supports. I am considering methods of anchoring the supports to the concrete.

Great sounds like your making progress..
A heat gun will sometimes work on loosening gasket material.
It it were mine, replacing the missing feet and leveling it would be a very high priority.

If you look at the photos of my Hydrashift , I made aluminum feet on the lathe to raise it 2". Made for a very nice working height.
lathe040.jpglathe52.jpg lathe50.jpg

Back