New Lathe Bench

That bench with cabinet storage turned out sweet! Very tempted to do the same. I have the exact same machine and would appreciate the additional storage below. Bravo, well done.

Ray C

Your comments hit home for me, regarding rigidity on a 12' atlas

I recently went thru my atlas doing the repair, replace, repaint rebuild. I purchased the lathe on the original C-Man wood top bench with storage below. I added a .125 SS top as well as a .250 steel plate under the motor / pulley & L side of the lathe.
Spent the time to level the bed with a Starrett machinist level.

Question is, more of of a comment, when I use a dog I can feel a vibration coming off the lathe. ind of standing next to a propeller

Thought I put enough extra strength into the base, but I guess not

any suggestion....short of a trade up. Suffering from "dough" flu

Outsider,

It's pretty hard to suppress the vibration from a dog as most of them, especially the old fashioned hook/hole kind, really upsets the apple cart. For that reason, I made a two-piece balanced one that is adjustable. It has two sides that close toward eachother and always remains balanced.

The only way to suppress dog vibration is with about a ton of weight (-and that's almost no joke either) or use a balanced dog.

When checking for vibration, I think it's best to test with just your chucks mounted. First balance the gears, sheaves etc and once that is running smooth any other vibration has to be killed with brute force. If so inclined, check the post about "YALB -Yet Another Lathe Bench" in the "Other Projects" section to see the brute I'm making for just this reason.

Also, show a pic of your bench if you feel like it and maybe we can suggest more ways of beefing it up.

Ray

Ray C

Your comments hit home for me, regarding rigidity on a 12' atlas

I recently went thru my atlas doing the repair, replace, repaint rebuild. I purchased the lathe on the original C-Man wood top bench with storage below. I added a .125 SS top as well as a .250 steel plate under the motor / pulley & L side of the lathe.
Spent the time to level the bed with a Starrett machinist level.

Question is, more of of a comment, when I use a dog I can feel a vibration coming off the lathe. ind of standing next to a propeller

Thought I put enough extra strength into the base, but I guess not

any suggestion....short of a trade up. Suffering from "dough" flu

OK I'll have a pic to post tomorrow, It's 8 deg & snowing like crazy here south of Buffalo ny

Can you post a pic of your balanced dog?
tks

First balance the gears, sheaves etc and once that is running smooth any other vibration has to be killed with brute force.

Hey Ray,
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where would a guy get the "how to" for doing this. I'd like to put it in my library if I need it later.
-Ryan

Ryan,

Check the thread on "D1 Measurement and Setup" in the "Metrology" section. It shows how chucks are checked/adjusted for balance and shows a setup for a balancing rig. Only discusses static balance and you need to be careful on thicker pieces as dynamic balance often plays a role. Anyhow, the concepts are the same.

Ray

Hey Ray,
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where would a guy get the "how to" for doing this. I'd like to put it in my library if I need it later.
-Ryan

As for the lathe dogs, I cannot show a picture because, last week my buddy dropped by and really liked them so I gave them to him. They are very easy to make. Instead, I will show a very crude sketch...

SOME WORDS OF CAUTION:

• Anything you attach to something that rotates at high speed is potentially dangerous.
  • Lathe dogs are no exception and they must be securely fastened!!!
  • Lockwashers and/or double-nutting is a requirement!!!
  • You must keep your hands/fingers and other body parts that you care about away from protruding rotating things!!!
  • Anything you attach to a rotating object is done at your own risk.

That said...

The enclosed PDF gives the general approach but, the ones I make also have the ability to slide the arms. I will leave that up to your own creativity to figure out. Also the ones I make have rounded off corners (for safety reasons) and are made from roundstock -not flatstock. It was easier for me to sketch this showing flat pieces. When bolting this together, insert the bolts opposite to eachother (ying/yang) to maintain balance. Use lockwashers and/or double-nutting to secure the bolts.

Have at it.

Ray

View attachment DogBlock.pdf

OK I'll have a pic to post tomorrow, It's 8 deg & snowing like crazy here south of Buffalo ny

Can you post a pic of your balanced dog?
tks

Back