[Newbie] New Lathe Decision?

DrAl

Registered
Registered
I am going to replace my LMS 7x14 and the two choices are the Grizzly 9972Z and the PM 1030V. Both are 1 HP machines. The 9972Z is a 11x26 machine and outweighs the 1030 by over 100 pounds. It also has limited speed options (6) for the spindle. The PM1030V has variable speed, but is a lighter 10x30 machine. But the big advantage to the 1030 is power cross feed. Both have 1 inch spindle bores, and both come with all of the accessories that you need to get started. Being a larger, heaver machine the 9972Z seems attractive. But power cross feed and variable speed on the 1030 are good also.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I would probably look at the PM1228 if you can stretch it, the variable speed 2Hp DC motor and power cross feed are a real plus, the other major advantage of a slightly larger machine like the PM1228 is a standard D1-4 chuck mount with a larger spindle bore, MT3 taper in the tail stock. Looks like it takes an AXA tool post, so could use 1/2" tool holders. This gives you a lot of options to expand and larger work scope. Also the PM1228 has a much wider range of selectable feeds and threading options with fewer gear changes. I believe the PM1228 is similar to the Sieg SC10.

Attachments

• PM-1228VF-LB Quote 1-6-2016.pdf
    259.5 KB · Views: 10
No power cross feed? That would be a show stopper for me.

it all depends on what you want to make with the machine, and how much you want to spend. It sounds like you started off with a mini lathe and now want to go up a step, I think you are looking at the weight of the machine for stability, accuracy reasons. I thought about getting a lathe for over two years, I decided on the PM1228 it has the size and features that will be just right for what I plan to do with it. From the two choices you have talked about, I would go with the pm1030v there are a few people on this forum that have the machine and are very happy with then. The variable speed and cross feed features, make it the better choice, as for the accuracy, if you get the machine stable, you may have to shim it to fine tune it, or should I say get any twist out of the ways then the machine should be very accurate.

Back