Troptics

Registered
Registered
Hello, I just got a new grizzly micro lathe and was wondering what all might be needed for a "basic" setup. I plan to mostly do small projects, pens, rings, threads and so on.
What tools would be best for setup and would come in handy? I'm coming from more of a 3D printing background, witch is pretty simple to say the least.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly received! :)

If you got the lathe new, it probably has a drill chuck, centers, a 3- and 4-jaw chuck, and maybe a few other bonuses. If you don't already have them, a digi or dial caliper, internal/external dividers, Dykem layout fluid, and a scribe will be helpful. An oil can for cutting oil and one for way oil will keep the clutter down. A chip brush for clearing chips and chip tray for catching them (oven cookie sheet works). You'll want to pick a system to use for cutting bits: inserts, cemented carbide, or HSS. If you don't have a grinder to sharpen with, carbide inserts are easiest (and most $$) to start with.

I also recommend a bluetooth speaker and Slayer. YMMV. At minimum go with Pink Floyd, but machinists should avoid jazz. Too easy to lose the melodics.

Some HSS tooling, a bench grinder to shape/sharpen them, sharpening stones. There are some good how to videos.
Measuring devices: Dial indicator, Dial test indicator & magnetic base, Thread gages, Micrometers, digital caliper.
An old copy of Machinery Handbook. Some metal to practice on: Aluminum bar stock is easy to use, Get a gallon of WD40 to use as aluminum cutting fluid. Chip brushes, acid brushes, Lathe file, Cleaning solvent, recommended lubricants. An Eagle squirt can for lube.
Carefully take it apart so you can clean any grit out of it. Go through setup procedures to align everything. Adjust gibs. Lube everything.
This is just the beginning! You will find there are many more things you will want/need as you progress. Live center, 4 jaw chuck, milling attachment, QCTP & tool holders, good set of tap & dies. The list goes on forever. Have fun.

Thank you for the information! I plan to do much more research before I start anything, just got the main purchase of the lathe itself out of the way and found myself a bit lost as to what would be a good direction to head off in next.. It's an extremely small lathe, 4 x 6 and under 50lbs. As far as lubrication goes I'm assuming a small enclosed loop with a bucket or something would work out pretty well. I should also mention that I'm doing all of this in an apartment, so vibration and sound need to be sorted out as well but that's pretty simple (or so I think..lol.)

This will be a VERY interesting adventure.

You'll be fine running a mini lathe in an apartment. The rubber feet of the lathe are probably enough to keep the neighbors away. For oil, just use an oil can or dropper bottle and dab the minimum amount needed to keep the cut smooth. You won't need to rig up buckets and hoses for that. I use castor oil based cutting fluid (CRC TrueTap HD w/green label) for ferrous metals, and cheap, water-based Kool Mist for aluminum. Little 2-oz steel tipped dropper bottles from Amazon are all I use at the lathe for cutting oil.

Larry42 recommends grinding your own HSS, and from my perspective, I couldn't agree more. You will need a bench grinder with a rest and some time to practice, but that's how I'd teach a man to fish. I suggested the carbide inserts as a good start because you don't need to grind, just like disposable razors. I prefer HSS for the quality of finish and the ability to make a razor-sharp tool that cuts material like a scalpel. Carbide is a hard material that likes taking big bites out of hard steel. It doesn't necessarily do the same as HSS, especially in small skim cuts as you approach a dimension, at least in my experience. Lots of people use carbide exclusively and simply love it. It's up to you and what your goals are.

It's nice being able to grind your own tool bits, but it's a noisy activity in an apartment so for now just purchase them
You don't need a recirculating coolant system for a mini lathe, just brush or drip by hand from a container when cutting steel
Aluminum and brass are often cut dry; the finish on aluminum is better with a light fluid like wd40 or tap magic
A drilled hole will come out closer to the correct size when using those fluids
Mark

Last edited:
Welcome to the group!

For apartment use a couple other things might help......

1) some kind of back-splash/shield. When you do use cutting fluids some will spin off and make a stripe up the back wall....and down your face, and chest....

2) Can you do this in an UN-carpeted room? all that little curly swarf is bad enough when only little bits make it inside the house from my shop by hitching a ride on my shirt, shoes, in a cuff or pocket, and even in my beard! Perhaps a little shop-vac at the door to the room to try to maintain "domestic bliss".

Most of all be safe and have fun!

-brino

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and information! It's nice to see an active forum with helpful people!!

I have just finished removing all the shipping/packaging grease they come covered in. Gave everything a nice amount of WD40. Now looking into something that will last a little longer as a protectant and lubrication. Although WD40 might be fine for now. I have some tools coming in, eye wear, some carbide tipped bits as well as some carbide insert bits. Going to hit the hardware store today after work to pick up some stuff, cheap stock, dial, and whatever else I find that seems useful..lol.. I've attached a photo of the lathe for anyone wondering how it looks.. (It's so small! (bic lighter for scale))

It seems to struggle with lower RPM like something might have a slight bend in it somewhere. (working with Grizzly about this issue)
It's also belt driven, not sure if that's a good or bad thing.(better than plastic gears I'm guessing)
Figure its fine for a first, entry level lathe. :)
11.jpg

Attachments

• 20190802_103630.jpg
    20190802_103630.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Looks smaller than I had expected. What are you intending to make with it? I'm guessing that you will do better with HSS tooling rather than carbide. Depending on the system used many variable speed drives don't develop much power at slow speeds. You will want to use some way oil on the bed. Keep it covered when not in use so it doesn't collect a bunch of dust and get gummy. Will it cut threads?

Back