New Lathe User - Just Bought An Atlas MK2 6x18

Skowinski

Registered
Registered
I've been around machine shops over the years, but rarely did any work myself, and even then was just being guided step by step. Just picked up what looks like a great deal on a barely used Atlas MK2 6 inch lathe, with tons of accessories and tooling. Starting to dig around on the forum to educate myself, and already learning a lot.

i-2NDrBkJ-L.jpg

The drawers in the cabinet are full of tooling and parts, some of which I have no idea what it's for. :D

Damn!!! You got a lot of stuff for that machine. I BELIEVE the MK2 is almost identical to the 3950 I bought. Wa5cab is very smart on these lathes. He will probably chime in and help to. It looks to be in fantastic shape to me. Lots of tooling, steady rest, follower rest, milling attachment, 2 3 jaw, 1 4 jaw, live center, drill attachment, threading gears, and manuals. I'd like to know what you paid for it, your call though. Dont have to say if you dont want to. I know how much I racked up in my 3950 to get all of those parts together. Yours is in very nice shape too!!! I had a blast with mine. Nice buy!!!

Can we see pics of what is in the drawers???? Please????:)

Have one of those myself and am very happy with it so far. Just don't ask it to try to make cuts that a larger lathe can do and you'll probably be happy with it's performance. You made out like a kid at Christmas with all the extra tooling.

Congratulations ! and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and ask questions.
You are very fortunate to have a lathe with the "works". The accessories would probably cost you
as much or more than the lathe. This is the same way I got my lathe and after 3 years there are still a
few parts that I haven't used, and there are very few things that I needed to buy. As Hector said,
we LOVE pictures. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there is no such thing as stupid questions
on this site. Good luck and keep us informed of any projects you are working on.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Thanks guys! I picked it up for $750, and think it would have been a deal for a lot more than that. It needed a really good cleaning. I think I spent 3 hours and still need to get into the gearbox and pull the tailstock and carriage off and clean those good.

I'll try to get some more pics. I'm sure I'll have some stupid questions as I go along!

You dog! Took me a year to get mine together and still don't have a steady rest- enjoy!
Mark S.

Thanks guys! I picked it up for $750, and think it would have been a deal for a lot more than that. It needed a really good cleaning. I think I spent 3 hours and still need to get into the gearbox and pull the tailstock and carriage off and clean those good.

I'll try to get some more pics. I'm sure I'll have some stupid questions as I go along!

I for one like stupid questions!!!!!!! Read my thread on my 6913, I had plenty of stupid questions in that thread!!!!!!!! I didnt even know swarf was an actual word!!! :-(

Thats a good price in my opinion for all of that. I have more than that in the extras alone I got for mine after I bought it. This hobby is addictive and can make the pocketbook smaller and smaller!!!!!
Someone on this forum said this but I cant remember who it was but "Welcome to the soon to be broke club!!!!" he deserves the credit, not me, but he was right!!! Nice score!

The Atlas Mk1 (which was never actually called that during its lifetime) consists of the Atlas 612 and 618, the Craftsman 101.07301, and the Craftsman 101.21400. The 618 and 101.21400 are exactly the same except for badges and nameplates, and both have 1"-10 spindle threads. The 101.07301 is almost the same as the 618 made in about 1938 to 1940 except has sleeve bearings and 1"-8 spindle threads.

The Mk2 replaced the Mk1 in about 1973. All have 1"-10 spindle threads and are 8-speed (no intermediate countershaft). The first two models were Atlas 3950 and Craftsman 101.21200. They have ball bearings on the spindle and a cast iron headstock. The first 800 to 1000 or so used the same compound and tailstock as the 618. As those were used up, they were replaced by what you have. The bed was originally the same as on the 618 except for the location of the tapped holes for the headstock and legs.

Sears discontinued the 101.21200 in 1976 or early 1977 and Atlas replaced the 3950 with the 10100 (which Sears never sold). Initially, the only difference was that the headstock (still cast iron) and spindle were modified to take Timken tapered roller bearings like the 618 had. In June 1979 at (supposedly) S/N 007328 the apron was modified to add backlash adjustment to the carriage traverse gears. At some point after S/N 008329, the traverse rack was changed from the 618 type (with 5 mounting screws and two locator pins) to only two larger screws. At some point no later than S/N 9901 and thought to probably be in early 1980, Atlas changed the headstock and legs to Zamak. This proved to be a disaster and although Atlas apparently made a retrofit kit with cast iron parts available (not clear if free or not), the 10100 went out of production probably late in 1980 or very early 1981.

Your machine has the late apron with backlash adjustment but I can't tell from the photo whether the legs and headstock are cast iron or Zamak. If you wouldn't mind, please complete the "Survey Questions For Atlas/craftsman 6" Mk2 Lathes" contained in the thread of that name up in the Sticky area at the top of this Forum.

Nice looking lathe and equipment. I'm in the same boat as you as I am new to any kind of machining work. I boughta craftsman 101.21400 6 inch about 3 weeks ago and just started playing with. I would love to have that milling attachment!

Back