new lathe won't start

Still imagining (wishing?) what it would be like to have enough space to need a riding mower. My neighbors are 15-20 feet away. One is OK, the other is annoying. Wish I had more space between us -about 100 feet would do nicely.

Ray

It doesn't engage the blade. It just allows you to go in reverse with the blade engaged. If you try to go in reverse without pressing the button the motor bogs down. (not sure if it will actually stop since it reminds me to push the button)

Why would you use it? I use it all the time. My front yard is triangular. With the turning radius I always leave a wedge of uncut grass at an apex. Rather than turn in a big circle to cut it, I just back up over it to cut it. Or there is a small gap between my house and shop with no room to turn around. There are lots of other instances.

Where's your imagination Ray! :))

Gary

Still imagining (wishing?) what it would be like to have enough space to need a riding mower. My neighbors are 15-20 feet away. One is OK, the other is annoying. Wish I had more space between us -about 100 feet would do nicely.

Ray
That's why I moved to WI. 3 acres in a rural area.Closest neighbor is about 220 feet away. :)

Three acres is nice but it takes a lot of time to mow that comes from machining.

Bob

I have 2 acres and need to cut the grass every 3 to 4 days. Yes, it take a good deal of time but its worth it, I do not have neighbor problems. My closes neighbor is a retired machinist. I got his Gestner 7 draw tool box.

The key to large yards is to have the largest mower you can afford. I have a 44, 46 and 52 inch deck on as many tractors. Oh, I also have one with a loader and backhoe.

More land equates to more room for buildings and more tools.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, some tractors have an over ride setting on the ignition switch so you can mow in reverse as necessary, no button required. The older models don't have such switches and you can back up without the over ride.

Yep, I have a 50" Cub that we normally use (it's "only" 3 hours total time). If I'm feeling lazy I'll break out the Ford 2N with the 60" bush hog for the back part of the yard. Not as nice a cut, but it's a lot more comfortable and quicker.

Three adult sons still living at home. Machine shop time not negotiable. End of story :jester:

Three acres is nice but it takes a lot of time to mow that comes from machining.

Bob

Three adult sons still living at home. Machine shop time not negotiable. End of story :jester:

Ray, I understand your replies much better now. I can see by this you are indeed a very patient, understanding man. Wife is probably the same. :))

Back