New Lathe

I decided on the PM932M-PDF w/DRO and the PM1236 w/o. I‘m not a machinist either, and space is my biggest constraint. I originally started looking at the PM1030 size, then the 1127 and 1128, and finally settled on the 1236. Jumping to the 1340/1440 range adds another foot or so to the length that I really don’t have.

I’m new to this, but I‘m not seeing anything in the foreseeable future that I won’t be able to do with these two machines.

I see you’re in Abq, PM me if you’d like to see the shop.

—Aaron

You all know the saying "Buy once cry once". I originally bought a 12x36 but wasn't thrilled with the rigidness. One thing about machining is machine mass is definitely a good thing. I sold my 12x36 and bought a 1440GT. Space not being an issue for me if I were smarter or more knowledgeable when I started I would have at least bought the 1340GT. The only thing I don't like about the 1340gt is the open gearbox mess.

If you need mobility try finding one of these.
76980247_10215898718356690_7404535897615499264_n.jpg

Last edited:
It does have the power cross feed. I am also looking at the PM1340GT

I have a 1340GT with a VFD and love the quality and accuracy of this lathe. It will do good quality work as long as you stay within it's intended work envelope. I personally would have preferred a high quality smaller lathe (working envelope), but my choices were either a Hardinge HLV-H (or clone) or a Monarch 10EE. Neither of which I could afford. I've fantasized about having a shop chop about a foot or so off my lathe and marrying it to a solid one-piece base for more mass/rigidity. But I can't afford that either. ;)

I do small hobby stuff and pistolsmithing and don't push my machines hard at all. If I needed to regularly take .1" DOC cuts I'd have saved for a HD 16x40 and been done with it. Like that new one that Matt sells.

My point here is to just give a shout out to the quality of the 1340 lathe, and to point out that you really should base this decision on what you want to do with this thing. Not what everyone else suggests. Because guess what? If you buy the wrong tool, you are the only one affected.

I'm a spec nerd, there are a lot of intangibles that you can not determine without actual fondle time on a machine, smoothness of operation, rigidity, ergonomics etc, but you can find a lot of differences just looking at specs and make some assumptions about some of the intangibles, specifically rigidity as weight is directly tied to taming vibration.

Comparing the PM 12x36, to 13x40 to 14x40, the difference in actual capacity is minimal, all three can work a piece of roughly the same size until you are pushing the limits and even then you are only looking at about 1" in diameter and a couple inches in length. A 14x40 may be happier turning a 6x24" piece of material (192lbs), but a 12x36" is fully capable of that. How often is a home user turning material of a size to really make a difference between a 12x36 and 14x40 lathe?

Spindle bore is probably a much bigger feature in home shop sized lathes. 3/4-1" in the 9-10" class, 1-3/8 to 1-9/16" in the 11-13" sizes. and often little difference between modern 12" and 13" lathes. The PM 14x40s have a spindle bore of 2" so quite a bit more than the PM 12 and 13" lathes.

Power, 12" are typically 1-1/2 to 2hp, 13" are mostly 2hp and 14" are mostly 3hp so there is a difference, but often not huge from step to step and there can be overlap from one to the next.

Weight (lathe only)
1022 is 360lbs
1236 is 960lbs
1236GT 850lbs
1340GT 1100lbs
the various 1440s are 1800lbs

Probably safe to assume the 14" class is a lot more rigid than a 12 or 13" lathe.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. Lots to think about. I spread sheet the PM lathes. $creep. More better. Lucky for me I may procrastinate till I am to old to care.

If I was buying another lathe, I'd take a hard look at the 1440GS from PM. Has a 2" spindle bore and a universal quick change gear box. My current go to lathe is a Grizzly G0709 14x40. I've had no issues with my lathe, but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to depth of cuts. Figure if I break it, I have to fix it. My G0709 has a universal QCGB too which makes it a snap to switch between metric and English threading.

Bruce

It might help to know what hobbies you enjoy and whether you are a gun guy or live on a farm or in the suburbs, etc. If you don't know what you're going to do with the lathe then choosing the right one is going to be difficult. As you can see, there is the "buy the biggest you can fit/afford" school of thought and it is probably the prevailing one on the forum. Then there is the "get the right tool for the job(s) at hand" group, of which I am one.

My suggestion is to put a lot of thought into what you think you will need to do with the lathe, then buy the best size and quality you can afford to suit your needs. You should also know which features matter on a lathe and make sure the one you choose has those features.

Once you home in on one or two lathes, ask the guys who own those lathes for feedback and they'll give it to you. The reason this matters is that you have to live with a lathe to really know the lathe. Spec sheets, pictures and hype do not give you the real stuff but the guy who owns one will tell you exactly what you need to know.
I'm a spec nerd, there are a lot of intangibles that you can not determine without actual fondle time on a machine, smoothness of operation, rigidity, ergonomics etc, but you can find a lot of differences just looking at specs and make some assumptions about some of the intangibles, specifically rigidity as weight is directly tied to taming vibration.

Comparing the PM 12x36, to 13x40 to 14x40, the difference in actual capacity is minimal, all three can work a piece of roughly the same size until you are pushing the limits and even then you are only looking at about 1" in diameter and a couple inches in length. A 14x40 may be happier turning a 6x24" piece of material (192lbs), but a 12x36" is fully capable of that. How often is a home user turning material of a size to really make a difference between a 12x36 and 14x40 lathe?

Spindle bore is probably a much bigger feature in home shop sized lathes. 3/4-1" in the 9-10" class, 1-3/8 to 1-9/16" in the 11-13" sizes. and often little difference between modern 12" and 13" lathes. The PM 14x40s have a spindle bore of 2" so quite a bit more than the PM 12 and 13" lathes.

Power, 12" are typically 1-1/2 to 2hp, 13" are mostly 2hp and 14" are mostly 3hp so there is a difference, but often not huge from step to step and there can be overlap from one to the next.

Weight (lathe only)
1022 is 360lbs
It might help to know what hobbies you enjoy and whether you are a gun guy or live on a farm or in the suburbs, etc. If you don't know what you're going to do with the lathe then choosing the right one is going to be difficult. As you can see, there is the "buy the biggest you can fit/afford" school of thought and it is probably the prevailing one on the forum. Then there is the "get the right tool for the job(s) at hand" group, of which I am one.

My suggestion is to put a lot of thought into what you think you will need to do with the lathe, then buy the best size and quality you can afford to suit your needs. You should also know which features matter on a lathe and make sure the one you choose has those features.

Once you home in on one or two lathes, ask the guys who own those lathes for feedback and they'll give it to you. The reason this matters is that you have to live with a lathe to really know the lathe. Spec sheets, pictures and hype do not give you the real stuff but the guy who owns one will tell you exactly what you need to know.

1236 is 960lbs
1236GT 850lbs
1340GT 1100lbs
the various 1440s are 1800lbs

Probably safe to assume the 14" class is a lot more rigid than a 12 or 13" lathe.

Hobbies. Trials dirt bike, Cabochon making, rock hounding, silversmithing, light automotive work, hunting fishing, reloading, lots of research on the net. wood working, ATV. Maybe I have too many hobbies?

Nah, I think you fit right in with most of us who have many, many interests and machining happens to support all or most of them. What I saw on your list suggests that a 14" lathe might be overkill but if you plan to do gunsmithing then maybe that might be just what you need.

You got some good advice in this thread. Personally, I would look hard at the PM1236T or the 1340GT.

Back