New machine in my shop... Rhodes shaper

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, maybe not so "new" since it's most likely over 100 years old! :) I've been looking for a shaper for a while now and can either find small ones (few and far between) or huge monsters... nothing in between like I want. So, I decided to buy a 7" that popped up for a little less money than they usually sell for around here and see how I like it. If I do come across my "ideal" machine I can sell this one or, because it's so small, I can keep this one as well! ;)

Anyways, it was converted to motor drive from line shaft. Whoever did it did a decent job, but only single speed so I may retrofit down the road and modify it for step pulleys. I thought about a 3 phase motor with VFD because it would be a lot easier, but it would also be a lot more expensive. It's serial number 709 which means it's OLD. But, for it's age, it's in decent shape. No signs of bad wear on the ways/slides and the machine is pretty clean. No original vise, just the import he was using. The oil wicks were missing from the ram housing and they had been using grease for lube instead of oil. Hey, any lube is better than no lube! I'll replace the felts and use way oil. The only bad wear item is the screw and nut for the head slide. It's in pretty bad shape and I'll repair that down the road. But, basically, the machine is pretty tight and in decent order.

The pictures are the ones the seller sent me. We had to partially disassemble it to get it out of his basement by taking it up the stairs in pieces on a hand truck. I've started tearing it down for a complete cleaning and assessing, trying to discover all the oil holes and cleaning grease out of places where I'll be using oil.

So now I have a new project for when I'm not cutting grass or doing other summer work!

Ted

Resized_20190721_100904.jpg

Resized_20190721_100927.jpg

Resized_20190721_100952.jpg

Congratulation! Hope you don't find anything too distressing and you have some fun with it.

Your's has paint on it, mine don't. But I do have the vertical option installed. I must say it gets very little use.

Congrats! You'll enjoy using that machine when you get it going. I find mine quite relaxing when it's running.

I got a rhodes shaper about three years ago. Badly worn and mistreated. Started the rebuild but more important things have put that on hold.
Will get back to it eventually. As I've torn it down compleatly and have lots of pictures let me know if I can get you any dimensions or pictures
that might aid you.

Don’t know if the red wheel on the pulley on the right side is original or not, but it is really a great feature. Especially for a machine without all the nanny guards that give a sense of safety to your fingers. The wheel makes it easy to run through and check the stroke while not under power. I’m thinking I need to make something similar for my Lewis. Still, make sure to keep those fingers clear as you run the stroke by hand.

shaper 2.JPG
Another view. Drive pulley was made up of a few parts of scrap.

Welcome to the shaper club. :encourage:

Back